Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:43:48 -0700
From: SIMON BABY <simonkbaby@...il.com>
To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ping test with DSA ports failing

Thank you so much Andrew. Sorry for the messed up diagram. attached is the
diagram Can you confirm it is a valid test case?

 What are the DT parameters I can try to change in software or you suggest
to change in hardware for the RGMII?

I tried below values on the MAC side and it did not work.

 phy-mode = "rgmii-id";
tx-internal-delay-ps = <2000>;
rx-internal-delay-ps = <2000>;

*Note: The testing I am doing is with an actual PHY on the mac side as
well. so basically it is a PHY to PHY connection for the CPU port. Can it
cause any data plane issue with DSA ?*

Regards
Simon

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 11:22 AM Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:37:38AM -0700, SIMON BABY wrote:
> > Hello team,
> >

> > My test setup with DSA ports is below. Please confirm if it is a valid
> test
> > case for ping.
> >
> > Ping is failing most of the time but succeeds sometimes. Attached is the
> > Wireshark capture from my laptop and the tcpdump from sama7 processor.
> >

> > __________
> > _______________   192.168.0.119/24                  192.168.0.155/24
>  _________
> >

> |                                                    |
> >                                 |____________lan1__________________ ____|
> >
> > |  SAMA7     |  eth0 (RGMII)                           |  marvel 88e6390
> |
> > ___________  lan2                                                  |
> > laptop      |
> >
> > |        gmac0|---------------------------------------|port0
> (RGMII)       |
> > ___________  lan3
>                          |________ |
> >
> > |_________|                                                    |
> >                                 |___________  lan4

> >                                 |___________  lan5

> You ASCII art is all messed up and unreadable.
>
> > Ping is failing most of the times. Interestingly it is passing sometime.
> Below
> > are the logs.
>
> As i've said before, RGMII delays are often the cause of the problem.
>
>    Andrew

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "Capture_diagram.JPG" of type "image/jpeg" (61409 bytes)