Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 23:17:44 +0800
From: Gedalya <gedalya@...alya.net>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc: Dragan Simic <dsimic@...jaro.org>, Sirius <sirius@...dheim.com>,
 netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: iproute2: color output should assume dark background

On 5/23/24 10:59 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Fits perfect with "what color for the bike shed"

I'd love it if someone actually commented on my patch.

Currently, iproute2 does produce colored output when COLORFGBG is unset.
If that remains unchanged:

         It selects a certain palette.

Does everyone here think that keeping the current selection best serves
the majority of users?

It's a simple question.

It seems to me that it should revolve around a guesstimation of what
background colors people are using. Or maybe I'm wrong.

No one is arguing here about what colors anyone _should_ be using. I
also think it's misguided to regard an issue of unreadable output as
trivial. Using a black background is something you can choose away from,
except in an emergency, and not so much on vt. And navy blue on black is
just hard to read. Poor contrast. If you can read that easier than
others then fine, good for you, but this is about usability, it has
literally nothing to do with personal taste.

-------

Alternative approaches: default to light bg, but select dark bg when
TERM=linux (linux vt), I'd be happy to write the patch.

I'd like to try to alter the colors as suggested by Sirius, and if
everyone agrees I'd like to also stick to defaulting to dark bg if not
indicated otherwise.