Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 10:35:05 -0700
From: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To: Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org, pabeni@...hat.com, borisp@...dia.com,
 gal@...dia.com, cratiu@...dia.com, rrameshbabu@...dia.com,
 steffen.klassert@...unet.com, tariqt@...dia.com
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 01/15] psp: add documentation

On Sun, 12 May 2024 21:24:23 -0400 Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > +PSP Security Protocol (PSP) was defined at Google and published in:
> > +
> > +https://raw.githubusercontent.com/google/psp/main/doc/PSP_Arch_Spec.pdf
> > +
> > +This section briefly covers protocol aspects crucial for understanding
> > +the kernel API. Refer to the protocol specification for further details.
> > +
> > +Note that the kernel implementation and documentation uses the term
> > +"secret state" in place of "master key", it is both less confusing
> > +to an average developer and is less likely to run afoul any naming
> > +guidelines.
>
> There is some value in using the same terminology in the code as in
> the spec.
>
> And the session keys are derived from a key. That is more precise than
> state. Specifically, counter-mode KDF from an AES key.
>
> Perhaps device key, instead of master key?

Weak preference towards secret state, but device key works, too.

> > +Derived Rx keys
> > +---------------
> > +
> > +PSP borrows some terms and mechanisms from IPsec. PSP was designed
> > +with HW offloads in mind. The key feature of PSP is that Rx keys for every
> > +connection do not have to be stored by the receiver but can be derived
> > +from secret state and information present in packet headers.
>
> A second less obvious, but neat, feature is that it supports an
> encryption offset, such that (say) the L4 ports are integrity
> protected, but not encrypted, to allow for in-network telemetry.

I know, but the opening paragraph has:

   This section briefly covers protocol aspects crucial for
   understanding the kernel API. Refer to the protocol specification for further details.

:) .. and I didn't implement the offset, yet. (It's trivial to add and
ETOOMANYPATCHES.)

> > +This makes it possible to implement receivers which require a constant
> > +amount of memory regardless of the number of connections (``O(1)`` scaling).
> > +
> > +Tx keys have to be stored like with any other protocol,
>
> Keys can optionally be passed in descriptor.

Added: Preferably, the Tx keys should be provided with the packet (e.g.
as part of the descriptors).

> > +The expectation is that higher layer protocols will take care of
> > +protocol and key negotiation. For example one may use TLS key exchange,
> > +announce the PSP capability, and switch to PSP if both endpoints
> > +are PSP-capable.
>
> > +Securing a connection
> > +---------------------
> > +
> > +PSP encryption is currently only supported for TCP connections.
> > +Rx and Tx keys are allocated separately. First the ``rx-assoc``
> > +Netlink command needs to be issued, specifying a target TCP socket.
> > +Kernel will allocate a new PSP Rx key from the NIC and associate it
> > +with given socket. At this stage socket will accept both PSP-secured
> > +and plain text TCP packets.
> > +
> > +Tx keys are installed using the ``tx-assoc`` Netlink command.
> > +Once the Tx keys are installed all data read from the socket will
> > +be PSP-secured. In other words act of installing Tx keys has the secondary
> > +effect on the Rx direction, requring all received packets to be encrypted.
>
> Consider clarifying the entire state diagram from when one pair
> initiates upgrade.

Not sure about state diagram, there are only 3 states. Or do you mean
extend TCP state diagrams? I think a table may be better:

Event         | Normal TCP      | Rx PSP key present | Tx PSP key present |
Rx plain text | accept          | accept             | drop               |

Rx PSP (good) | drop            | accept             | accept             |

Rx PSP (bad)  | drop            | drop               | drop               |

Tx            | plain text      | plain text         | encrypted *        |

* data enqueued before Tx key in installed will not be encrypted
  (either initial send nor retranmissions)

What should I add?

> And some edge cases:
>
> - retransmits
> - TCP fin handshake, if only one peer succeeds

So FIN when one end is "locked down" and the other isn't?

> - TCP control socket response to encrypted pkt

Control sock ignores PSP.

> What is the expectation for data already queued for transmission when
> the tx assocation is made?
>
> More generally, what happens for data in flight. One possible
> simplification is to only allow an upgrade sequence (possibly
> including in-band exchange of keys) when no other data is in
> flight.

Like TLS offload, the data is annotated "for encryption" when queued.
So data queued earlier or retransmits of such data will never be
encrypted.

> > +performed by management daemons, not under application control.
> > +The PSP netlink family will generate a notification whenever keys
> > +are rotated. The applications are expected to re-establish connections
> > +before keys are rotated again.
>
> Connection key rotation is not supported? I did notice that tx key
> insertion fails if a key is already present, so this does appear to be
> the behavior.

Correct, for now connections need to be re-established once a day.
Rx should be easy, Tx we can make easy by only supporting rotation
when there's no data queued.