Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2024 16:11:31 -0400
From: Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
 Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 pabeni@...hat.com,
 borisp@...dia.com,
 gal@...dia.com,
 cratiu@...dia.com,
 rrameshbabu@...dia.com,
 steffen.klassert@...unet.com,
 tariqt@...dia.com,
 mingtao@...a.com,
 knekritz@...a.com,
 Lance Richardson <lance604@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 01/15] psp: add documentation

Jakub Kicinski wrote:

> > > Hm. And we can avoid this by only enforcing encryption of data-less
> > > segments once we've seen some encrypted data?
> >
> > That would help. It may also be needed to accept a pure ACK right at
> > the upgrade seqno. Depends on the upgrade process.
> >
> > Which may be worth documenting explicitly: the system call and network
> > packet exchange from when one peer initiates (by generating its local
> > key) until the connection is fully encrypted. That also allows poking
> > at the various edge cases that may happen if packets are lost, or when
> > actions can race.
>
> Dunno if the format below is good, but you're very right.
> At least to me writing the diagram was an hour well spent :)

Great :)

> > One unexpected example of the latter that I came across was Tx SADB
> > key insertion in tail edge cases taking longer than network RTT, for
> > instance.
> >
> > The kernel API can be exercised in a variety of ways, not all of them
> > will uphold the correctness. Documenting how it should be used should
> > help.
> >
> > Even better when it reduces the option space. As it already does by
> > failing a Tx key install until Rx is configured.
>
> Something along these lines?
>
> "Sequence" diagram of the worst case scenario:
>
> 01 p       Host A                         Host B
> 02 l t        ~~~~~~~~~~~[TCP 3 WHS]~~~~~~~~~~
> 03 a e        ~~~~~~[crypto negotiation]~~~~~~
> 04 i x                             [Rx key alloc = K-B]
> 05 n t                          <--- [app] K-B key send
> 06 ------[Rx key alloc = K-A]-
> 07     [app] K-A key send -->|
> 08        [TCP] K-B input <-----
> 08 P      [TCP] K-B ACK ---->|
> 09 S R [app] recv(K-B)       |
> 10 P x [app] [Tx key set]    |
> 11 --------------------------
> 12 P T [app] send(RPC) #####>|
> 13 S x                       |<----    [TCP] Seq OoO! queue RPC, SACK
> 14 P      [TCP] retr K-A --->|
> 15                           |  `->    [TCP] K-A input
> 16                           | <---    [TCP] K-A ACK (or FIN)
> 17                           |      [app] recv(K-A)
> 18                           |      [app] [Tx key set]
> 19                            -----------------------------------
> 20
>
> There is a causal dependency between Host B allocating the key (line 4),
> sending it (line 5) and Host A receiving it (line 8). Since Host B will
> accept PSP packets as soon as it allocated the key, Host A does not
> need to wait to start using the key (line 12). Host B will queue the
> RPC to the socket (line 13).
>
> [Problem #1]
>
> However, because Host B does not have a Tx key, the ACK / SACK packet
> (line 13) will not be encrypted. (Similarly if Host B decided to close
> the connection at this point, the resulting FIN packet would not be
> encrypted.)

Or if it plays SO_LINGER games the resulting RST.

> Host B needs to accept unencrypted non-data segments
> (pure acks, pure FIN) until it sees an encrypted packet from Host B.
>
> [Problem #2]
>
> The retansmissions of K-A are unencrypted, to avoid sending the same
> data in encrypted and unencrypted form. This poses a risk if an ACK
> gets lost but both hosts end up in the PSP Tx state. Assume that Host A
> did not send the RPC (line 12), and the retransmission (line 14)
> happens as an RTO or TLP. Host B may already reach PSP Tx state (line
> "20") and expect encrypted data. Plain text retransmissions (with
> sequence number before rcv_nxt) must be accepted until Host B sees
> encrypted data from Host A.

Is that sufficient if an initial encrypted packet could get reordered
by the network to arrive before a plaintext retransmit of a lower
seqno?

Both scenarios make sense. It is unfortunately harder to be sure that
we have captured all edge cases.

An issue related to the rcv_nxt cut-point, not sure how important: the
plaintext packet contents are protected by user crypto before upgrade.
But the TCP headers are not. PSP relies on TCP PAWS against replay
protection. It is possible for a MITM to offset all seqno from the
start of connection establishment. I don't see an immediate issue. But
at a minimum it could be possible to insert or delete before PSP is
upgraded.

> With that I think the state machine needs to be amended:
>
> Event          | Normal TCP  | Rx PSP      | Tx PSP      | PSP full    |
> Rx plain (new) | accept      | accept      | drop        | drop        |
>
> Rx plain       | accept      | accept      | accept      | drop        |
> (ACK|FIN|rtx)  |             |             |             |             |
>
> Rx PSP (good)  | drop        | accept      | accept      | accept      |
>
> Rx PSP (bad    | drop        | drop        | drop        | drop        |
> (crypt, !=SPI) |             |             |             |             |
>
> Tx             | plain text  | plain text  | encrypted   | encrypted   |
>                |             |             | (excl. rtx) | (excl. rtx) |

> > May want to always allow plaintext RSTs. This is a potential DoS
> > vector.
>
> Because of key exhaustion? Or we can be tricked into spamming someone
> with retranmissions and ignoring their RST?

Simpler: this falls back onto unencrypted TCP where someone capable of
spoofing valid data is capable of terminating a connection.

If denying all plaintext after upgrade, PSP protects against this.

It is arguably low on the list of concerns, especially in a closed
world hyperscaler setting. As it is hardly the only DoS vector.