Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2024 09:28:00 -0400
From: Mike Waterman <mwaterman@...tr.com>
To: netdev@...r.kernel.org, stephen@...workplumber.org,
	Daniel Gröber <dxld@...kboxed.org>
Subject: Add `auto` VRF table ID option in iproute2

Hello,

Package: iproute2
Version: 5.10.0-4

Feature request: Add an `auto` option for VRF table ID management like
in Cumulus Linux. I believe it'd be the iproute2 package on Debian
(11/12).

Example: Instead of specifying, say, 1001 for a table ID, we'd do the
following with the `auto` option:

```
auto vrfexample
iface vrfexample
    vrf-table auto
```

Or:

```
ip link add vrfexample type vrf table auto
```

(I'm new to the list and this is my first request. I tried to be brief
to respect time. Please ask any follow-ups as needed.)

Thanks!

Best,
Mike Waterman