Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 09:50:38 +0200
From: Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>
To: "Muggeridge, Matt" <matt.muggeridge2@....com>,
Subject: Re: Submitted a patch, got error "Patch does not apply to net-next-0"

Hi,

On 9/19/24 04:23, Muggeridge, Matt wrote:
> First time submitter and it seems I did something wrong, as I got the error "Patch does not apply to net-next-0". I suspected it was complaining about a missing end-of-line, so I resubmitted and get the error "Patch does not apply to net-next-1". So now I'm unsure how to correct this.
>
> My patch is: Netlink flag for creating IPv6 Default Routes (https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/SJ0PR84MB2088B1B93C75A4AAC5B90490D8632@SJ0PR84MB2088.NAMPRD84.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM/).
>
> I followed the instructions at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.12/networking/netdev-FAQ.html.
>
> Here's my local repo:
>
> $ git remote -v
> origin  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git (fetch)
> origin  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git (push)
>
> After committing my changes, I ran:
>
> $ git format-patch --subject-prefix='PATCH net-next' -1 95c6e5c898d3
>
> It produced the file "0001-Netlink-flag-for-creating-IPv6-Default-Routes.patch".  I emailed the contents of that file to this list.
>
> How do I correct this?

It looks like your email client is corrupting the patch, introducing CR
around column 80. You should address the issue within your email client
setting, or using directly 'git send-email'.

You can test your setup sending the patch to yourself only and trying to
apply it to a vanilla net-next tree.

Before any future submission, please take care of all the good
suggestions from Heiner.

Thanks,

Paolo