Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 16:29:35 +0000
From: Joe Damato <jdamato@...tly.com>
To: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc: Joe Damato <jdamato@...tly.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
	Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
	Przemek Kitszel <przemyslaw.kitszel@...el.com>,
	Tony Nguyen <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>,
	intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org (moderated list:INTEL ETHERNET DRIVERS),
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org (open list)
Subject: [RFC v2 net-next 0/2] e1000/e1000e: Link IRQs, NAPIs, and queues

Greetings:

This RFC v2 follows from an RFC submission I sent [1] for e1000e. The
original RFC added netdev-genl support for e1000e, but this new RFC
includes a patch to add support for e1000, as well.

Supporting this API in these drivers is very useful as commonly used
virtualization software, like VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox, expose e1000e
and e1000 NICs to VMs.

Developers who work on user apps in VMs may find themselves in need of
access to this API to build, test, or run CI on their apps. This is
especially true for apps which use epoll based busy poll and rely on
userland mapping NAPI IDs to queues.

I plan to send this series as an official patch series next week when
net-next reopens, but wanted to give the Intel folks a head's up incase
they had any comments or feedback I could address before then.

I've tested both patches; please see the commit messages for more details.

Thanks,
Joe

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20240918135726.1330-1-jdamato@fastly.com/

rfcv2:
  - Added patch 2 which includes netdev-genl support for e1000

Joe Damato (2):
  e1000e: link NAPI instances to queues and IRQs
  e1000: Link IRQs and queues to NAPIs

 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000/e1000_main.c |  5 +++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/netdev.c    | 11 +++++++++++
 2 files changed, 16 insertions(+)

--
2.34.1