Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 14:41:16 +0200
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
To: Arthur Fabre <afabre@...udflare.com>
Cc: Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com>, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
 <hawk@...nel.org>, Jakub Sitnicki <jakub@...udflare.com>, Alexander
 Lobakin <aleksander.lobakin@...el.com>, Lorenzo Bianconi
 <lorenzo@...nel.org>, bpf@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 ast@...nel.org, daniel@...earbox.net, davem@...emloft.net,
 kuba@...nel.org, john.fastabend@...il.com, edumazet@...gle.com,
 pabeni@...hat.com, sdf@...ichev.me, tariqt@...dia.com, saeedm@...dia.com,
 anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com, przemyslaw.kitszel@...el.com,
 intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org, mst@...hat.com, jasowang@...hat.com,
 mcoquelin.stm32@...il.com, alexandre.torgue@...s.st.com, kernel-team
 <kernel-team@...udflare.com>, Yan Zhai <yan@...udflare.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/4] Add XDP rx hw hints support performing
 XDP_REDIRECT

Arthur Fabre <afabre@...udflare.com> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2024 at 1:12 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com> wrote:
>> FYI, we also had a discussion related to this at LPC on Friday, in this
>> session: https://lpc.events/event/18/contributions/1935/
>>
>> The context here was that Arthur and Jakub want to also support extended
>> rich metadata all the way through the SKB path, and are looking at the
>> same area used for XDP metadata to store it. So there's a need to manage
>> both the kernel's own usage of that area, and userspace/BPF usage of it.
>>
>> I'll try to summarise some of the points of that discussion (all
>> interpretations are my own, of course):
>>
>> - We want something that can be carried with a frame all the way from
>>   the XDP layer, through all SKB layers and to userspace (to replace the
>>   use of skb->mark for this purpose).
>>
>> - We want different applications running on the system (of which the
>>   kernel itself if one, cf this discussion) to be able to share this
>>   field, without having to have an out of band registry (like a Github
>>   repository where applications can agree on which bits to use). Which
>>   probably means that the kernel needs to be in the loop somehow to
>>   explicitly allocate space in the metadata area and track offsets.
>>
>> - Having an explicit API to access this from userspace, without having
>>   to go through BPF (i.e., a socket- or CMSG-based API) would be useful.
>>

> Thanks for looping us in, and the great summary Toke!

You're welcome :)

> [...]
>>
>> int bpf_set_packet_metadata_field(struct xdp_frame *frm, int id, void
>>                                   *value, size_t sz)
>> {
>>   struct pkt_metadata_entry *entry = get_metadata_entry_by_id(id);
>>
>>   if (!entry)
>>     return -ENOENT;
>>
>>   if (entry->sz != sz)
>>     return -EINVAL; /* user error */
>>
>>   if (frm->rx_meta.sz < entry->offset + sz)
>>     return -EFAULT; /* entry allocated after xdp_frame was initialised */
>>
>>   memcpy(&frm->rx_meta.data + entry->offset, value, sz);
>>   frm->rx_meta.fields_set |= BIT(entry->bit);
>>
>>   return 0;
>> }
>>
>> int bpf_get_packet_metadata_field(struct xdp_frame *frm, int id, void
>>                                   *value, size_t sz)
>> {
>>   struct pkt_metadata_entry *entry = get_metadata_entry_by_id(id);
>>
>>   if (!entry)
>>     return -ENOENT;
>>
>>   if (entry->sz != sz)
>>     return -EINVAL;
>>
>> if (frm->rx_meta.sz < entry->offset + sz)
>>     return -EFAULT; /* entry allocated after xdp_frame was initialised */
>>
>>   if (!(frm->rx_meta.fields_set & BIT(entry->bit)))
>>     return -ENOENT;
>>
>>   memcpy(value, &frm->rx_meta.data + entry->offset, sz);
>>
>>   return 0;
>> }
>>
>> I'm hinting at some complications here (with the EFAULT return) that
>> needs to be resolved: there is no guarantee that a given packet will be
>> in sync with the current status of the registered metadata, so we need
>> explicit checks for this. If metadata entries are de-registered again
>> this also means dealing with holes and/or reshuffling the metadata
>> layout to reuse the released space (incidentally, this is the one place
>> where a TLV format would have advantages).
>>
>> The nice thing about an API like this, though, is that it's extensible,
>> and the kernel itself can be just another consumer of it for the
>> metadata fields Lorenzo is adding in this series. I.e., we could just
>> pre-define some IDs for metadata vlan, timestamp etc, and use the same
>> functions as above from within the kernel to set and get those values;
>> using the registry, there could even be an option to turn those off if
>> an application wants more space for its own usage. Or, alternatively, we
>> could keep the kernel-internal IDs hardcoded and always allocated, and
>> just use the getter/setter functions as the BPF API for accessing them.
>
> That's exactly what I'm thinking of too, a simple API like:
>
> get(u8 key, u8 len, void *val);
> set(u8 key, u8 len, void *val);
>
> With "well-known" keys like METADATA_ID_HW_HASH for hardware metadata.
>
> If a NIC doesn't support a certain well-known metadata, the key
> wouldn't be set, and get() would return ENOENT.
>
> I think this also lets us avoid having to "register" keys or bits of
> metadata with the kernel.
> We'd reserve some number of keys for hardware metadata.

Right, but how do you allocate space/offset for each key without an
explicit allocation step? You'd basically have to encode the list of IDs
in the metadata area itself, which implies a TLV format that you have to
walk on every access? The registry idea in my example above was
basically to avoid that...

> The remaining keys would be up to users. They'd have to allocate keys
> to services, and configure services to use those keys.
> This is similar to the way listening on a certain port works: only one
> service can use port 80 or 443, and that can typically beconfigured in
> a service's config file.

Right, well, port numbers *do* actually have an out of band service
registry (IANA), which I thought was what we wanted to avoid? ;)

> This side-steps the whole question of how to change the registered
> metadata for in-flight packets, and how to deal with different NICs
> with different hardware metadata.
>
> I think I've figured out a suitable encoding format, hopefully we'll
> have an RFC soon!

Alright, cool!

-Toke