Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:49:59 -0400
From: Matthew Green <matthewdgreen@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Testing Password Hashing functions

Formally, the right tool here is to ask for a proof that the construction is indifferentiable from a random oracle -- assuming that the building blocks (underlying hash functions, block ciphers, etc.) also meet similar criteria.

The submitters don't have to write this proof, but it would be one of the criteria for analysis. Since most of these functions will probably be based on 'standard' building blocks, this shouldn't be an enormous stretch.

Of course, this is orthogonal to the specific requirements that make a password hash special -- namely, the fact that they're slow to compute.

Matt