Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 18:19:22 +0200
From: Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@...eya.com>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: SSH key storage

Hi,

An interesting article (at least for me) on SSH private key storage and
how the password is
derived (without stretching) to create a key for AES-CBC
encrypt/decrypt the key.

http://martin.kleppmann.com/2013/05/24/improving-security-of-ssh-private-keys.html

The author also explain how to use PKCS#8 to benefit from PBKDF2.

I was already puzzled about the PGP scheme (see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/153>),
but I'm very surprised that the SSH default key storage scheme is so
simple.

(Seen via
<http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Lost-Found-SSH-key-primer-Wireshark-toxic-SSL-certificates-1869194.html>)

Regards.