Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:51:58 -0700
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Interdependence of t_cost and m_cost parameters

I'm always having difficulty understanding the interdependence that might exist between t_cost, m_cost and, to a related degree, also outlen.

Here are some considerations I have.  I don't know how these fit with what others assume the interdependencies might be, or whether the interdependencies are simply left wide open, including when and where step functions arise.

 - Dennis

MY APPRAISAL OF THE SITUATION:

It is generally easy to have t_cost be directly related to a linear work factor apart from any step functions that may arise in conjunction with outlen.  Alternatively, a PHS could amortize t_cost when there is some outlen-related timing-step increase.  There is such an increase with PBKDF2, for example.  While the t_cost doesn't have to adjust for differences in terms of processor performance, it would be useful to have the effect be smooth, whatever the relationship is.

Amortizing t_cost against m_cost is tricker.  That is, it is difficult to work out the combinations if m_cost also has step-function costs.  It is also not clear what the difference between m_cost 1 and m_cost 2 might be and whether a given implementation has step functions here too (in which case t_cost could be amortized once again).

Note 1: I am also assuming that, whatever the m_cost is, with the other parameters fixed, the result should be cryptographically unrelated to a result produced for any other m_cost value.  The prospect of t_cost, m_cost password-hash collisions with all other parameters the same must be negligible.

Note 2: A requirement that I have for iterative password-hashing procedures is that I can have a version that will operate with a specific time threshhold and then report the t_cost that was achieved along with the resulting hash.  That becomes the known t_cost value for verification.  I've not considered m_cost in practical cases that have come up.  (Given a threshold t in milliseconds, the resulting t_cost
value is one for which the hash is produced in the approximate interval [t, 3t/2].)

Note 3: If I wanted variable m_cost control, I'm thinking that the procedure in (Note 2) would take an m_cost suggestion and that procedure would deliver the t_cost and m_cost values that were used in a generation that satisfied the specified time threshold.  That seems definitely trickier.  Interesting, but trickier.