Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:06:51 +0000
From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@....freebsd.dk>
To: CodesInChaos <codesinchaos@...il.com>
cc: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] IETF draft

In message <CAK9dnSyjQup4Dv9AnOxzWffFE1fgGfJc3-yQ7aj=y31KcJWZMg@...l.gmail.com>
, CodesInChaos writes:

You're missing the point, and I was probably at fault for being
unnecessarily terse.

	DB(hash(password))

has no resistance to precomputation, so we add a salt:

	DB(salt, hash(salt + password))

That has resistance to precomputation, which increases with the salts entropy.

If the database is stolen, any accidental salt+password collitions
with previous collections would be useful.

This was the major attack vector on the DES based unix crypt(3), and
a particular vulnerability when people do the "here is my encrypted
password for my new account" setup-routine.  (You should *always*
reset your password on first login, even if you set it to the same
thing, in order to get a different salt.)

My 1994 proposal:

	DB(salt, hash(site_key + salt + password))

Frustrates that attack, even if the site_key is also stolen, because
there will not be any salt collisions -- as the site_key is
effectively a part of the salt.

It also prevents the above method of setting up new accounts, forcing
people through your password changing routine, which can enforce
password quality, if that's your thing.  (Obviously you can allow
first login on the transmitted hash(salt+password) and then force
people to set a new password etc. etc.

Your proposal:

	DB(crypt(site_key, hash(salt + password)))

Only protects against somebody stealing the harddisk with the
encrypted database *provided* they don't get hold of the
site_key.

For the same attack scenario, DB+site_key, your proposal is back
to hash(salt+password) and the exposure to salt+password collitions.

That being said: If password databases are transported, even if
they are hashed, they should be encrypted with a disassocited key.

That is sort of what you propose, so your proposal is not
without merit, it just doesn't adds a different kind of security
than the IETF draft and my 1994 prior art.

phk@...eBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956