Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:26:39 +0000
From: Samuel Neves <sneves@....uc.pt>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Best RNG for filling memory?

On 24-12-2013 15:09, Bill Cox wrote:
> For the random number generator to fill memory, I found "modified"
> ARC4, by Jianliang Zheng and Jie Li:
>
> http://conferences.telecom-bretagne.eu/fps2012/program/slides/59.pdf
>
> I just benchmarked it, and it's faster on my core i7 than the SSE
> version of blake2s, and slightly slower than blake2b.  Not that my
> opinion counts, but I'm a fan of blake2 as a stream cipher since it's
> very fast and ARC4 has known long-term correlations in it's output.
>  I'm not sure there is any future for MARC as a stream cipher.
>  However, for memory-hard key stretching, MARC is very simple, and
> extremely fast.  It is slightly faster than blake2b-ref (64-bit
> reference version without SSE extensions), and slightly slower than
> blake2b (with SSE).  It's faster than both versions of blake2s (32 bit
> version).  No other cryto-strength RNG I know of is anywhere near as
> fast as MARC and blake2.  Since we only generate a 256 bit hash in the
> end, I don't think long-term correlations of 1-bit per 10MB is an
> issue, so I'm leaning towards MARC for it's simplicity and CPU
> architecture independence.

If all you want is to generate a random stream of bytes, you might be
interested in Salsa20/12 or Chacha12 (Salsa20/8 is used in scrypt, and
for this purpose even 8 rounds are quite likely OK). It can get up to 4
times faster than BLAKE2b on Intel processors, and is trivially
parallelizable to multiple cores. Unlike BLAKE(2), Salsa20 and Chacha
are designed to be stream ciphers.

In comparison ARC4, by its very design, cannot get faster than about
about 4 cycles per byte, which is slower than BLAKE2b, and much slower
than Salsa20. It is definitely not the state-of-the-art in speed anymore.