Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:43:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] escrypt memory access speed (Re: [PHC] Reworked KDF available on github for feedback: NOELKDF)

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 10:44:41AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> This look is executed 4 times for Sasla20/8.  Tracing the data path
> for x[0], I see a depth of 4 32-bit additions and 4 32-bit XORs, per
> loop, and there are 4 loops for a total depth of 16 add/xor stages.
>
> This does not look as challenging to compute as a 32x32 multiply.  An
> Intel CPU does a 64x64 multiply in 3 clocks.  This should be doable as
> fast, I think.

Sounds reasonable.

> So, hand-optimized Salsa20/8 in 20nm is maybe is 3 clocks at 3.5GHz.
> That's my best guess.  A multiplier designer could probably be more
> accurate.

OK.  So if we use Salsa20/2 instead of /8, we might be saving the ASIC
attacker one or two cycles of latency.  If the attacker has extremely
fast memory, then Salsa20 rounds might make a difference.  Otherwise
they probably won't.

And yes, I was already thinking of throwing in some multiplies.  We can
easily do several of them one after another while waiting for data to
arrive.  If each is 3 cycles latency not only on our CPU, but also on
custom ASIC, then we can achieve a delay of roughly the same number of
cycles for the attacker that we normally incur because of our memory
latency.  The attacker's memory might have lower latency, but with the
multiplies the attacker will be forced to slow down and match our speed.

Alexander