Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:38:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A must read...

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:01:24PM +0000, Marsh Ray wrote:
> From: Bill Cox [mailto:waywardgeek@...il.com]
> > Serial multiplications force the attacker to compute for a similar amount of time as me.
[...]
> I only dabble in such things, but let's imagine we had a 40-stage multiplier which could produce a result every single clock at or near the maximum toggle rate for that chip process. How will the proposed designs prevent the attacker from keeping such a pipeline well fed?

Assuming unpredictable lookups:

The primary goal of the serial multiplies is not in preventing efficient
use of a multiplier pipeline per se.  (The multiplier is tiny compared
to memory anyway, so a ~10x difference in efficiency of its use doesn't
matter much, except when our KDF is used at high-throughput and thus
low-memory settings.)  The primary goal is in tying up memory for each
instance of the KDF being computed in parallel, and in doing so not only
through memory latency and bandwidth, but through max(multiply latency,
memory latency, time needed to fetch a block at given bandwidth).
That's three constraints on the speed of attacks (the time factor in
area*time), instead of two.

Yes, an attacker with many parallel cores may have the cores use fewer
shared multipliers, and efficiently fill the multiplier pipelines in
this way.  However, this will buy the attacker very little (and probably
cost way more in overhead): there won't be any speed improvement (since
latency for each core stays the same or even becomes higher) and there
won't be any reduction in memory needs.  Only some die area needed by
multipliers would be saved (by having fewer of them than the number of
cores), but it's tiny (and more die area would likely be lost on routing).

Predictable lookups defeat this approach.  With predictable lookups,
we're relying almost exclusively on memory bandwidth for the time
factor.  Not even on memory latency anymore.  That's only one constraint
for the attacker, out of possible 3 constraints mentioned above.  This
is a major drawback of Catena, etc.

Alexander