Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:16:25 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Question about saturating the memory bandwidth

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 01:32:17PM +0000, Peter Maxwell wrote:
> Ok, what would you consider reasonable "general use" parameters for a busy
> web-service hosted on reasonable hardware that meets your idea of a minimum
> security threshold: how much memory do you intend to use, how much
> computation time/cycles do you suggest?

This is tough, and a reason why we're doing PHC.  But it's tough _not_
because of taking up memory bandwidth from other uses.

An actual problem we have is making use of enough RAM in scrypt-like
fashion (in order to at least meet bcrypt's level of GPU resistance) at
maximum-supported throughput levels that I'd recommend e.g. for default
settings of a web app.  For example, this could be 16 MB/instance and
500 req/s/machine (means ~16 GB/s).

There are also implementation difficulties: would need native code
(can't reach these parameters from PHP code yet), and ideally want to
limit the number of hashes being computed in parallel and thus of the
~16 MB allocations to match the CPUs' supported hardware threads count,
whereas the actual concurrent request count may be higher (some will
need to wait, as there's no speedup from them all proceeding to password
hashing anyway).

Another option is making use of a larger "ROM" (multi-gigabyte).  As I
had mentioned, for busier-than-in-example-above dedicated authentication
servers, we're currently playing with parameters that give
7300 req/s/machine on a large(r) machine, using 112 GiB ROM (= 120 GB) +
1.75 MiB RAM/instance.

I don't know which of these examples is closer to your "busy
web-service".  Maybe something in-between.

And yes, adoption (especially with non-low memory settings) may be
difficult for non-technical reasons as well.

These thresholds and difficulties are a reason why I think good PHC
candidates should be no weaker than bcrypt even at very low memory
settings (like a few KB).  Some/many uses will be at low settings.

> (yes, I'm being cheeky, there is going to be a follow up)

OK.

Alexander