Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:40:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Native server relief support for password hashing in browsers

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:37:40AM +0100, Christian Forler wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the Blakerypt's session key approach.
> Catena supports "Keyed Password Hashing". (see
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/525.pdf Section 4 page 8) where password
> hash is encrypted by the (IND-CPA) secure AES-CTR mode.

This isn't implemented yet, is it?

> For the sake of
> of simplification, it is likely that we switch to Blake2b-CTR encryption.

For CTR mode, it is critical to have unique nonce for each hash
encrypted in this way.  Where would it come from (would you simply reuse
the salt?) and how would you guarantee it is unique (normally, it is not
nearly as critical for 100% of salts to be unique, although indeed this
is our goal anyway)?

I've been thinking of including a similar feature into escrypt (to allow
for the secret key to be changed, which isn't possible with a mere local
parameter included in hashing), but I felt we'd need a block cipher (and
not turn it into a stream cipher with CTR mode or the like) to avoid the
issue mentioned above.  Not wanting to depend on an extra crypto
primitive (unless we'd be building on top of a block cipher anyway,
which is unlikely), my thoughts even went as far as building a Feistel
network on top of whatever crypto hash would need to be in the source
tree anyway (if scrypt compatibility mode is maintained, it'd likely be
SHA-256).  Obviously, this doesn't make me happy.  I was just toying
with these ideas, without having arrived at a good builtin solution yet.
Extra dependency on salts uniqueness is bad.  Dependency on an extra
crypto primitive for just this little thing is bad (can as well not have
the feature built in, then).  Building our own block cipher, even if not
entirely from scratch, is bad (added complexity and food for concerns -
e.g., is the rounds count sufficient?)  Arguably, this is a (minor)
reason to build upon AES (and use AES-NI where available), after all.

> IMHO we can assume that an adversary that has access to your password
> hashes has also access to your key.

This will vary.  For example, a database backup dump may get compromised
without a corresponding compromise of the web server's config files.

If we could achieve "perfect security", then sure it'd make sense to
assume only the worst case scenario and focus solely on that.  However,
we can't, so it makes sense to consider a variety of scenarios.

Alexander