Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:51:45 -0200 (BRDT)
From: "Marcos Simplicio" <mjunior@...c.usp.br>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Cc: "waywardgeek@...il.com" <waywardgeek@...il.com>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Initial multiply-compute-hardened Catena-3 benchmark

Hi.

> Assume the attacker is able to rent a virtual machine sharing the same CPU
> as the defender. By observing his own perceived cache latency carefully,
> he is able to learn what memory locations are accessed by the defender
> during the hashing of a specific user's password. This has been
> demonstrated possible in practice.

That is a very interesting information. Could you provide the source for
future reference? In Catena's paper, they only mention "At the current
point of time, our cache-timing attacks are theoretical."

Or the demonstrations you are referring to are meant for other primitives?
I could find some discussions for AES (against --
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~hovav/dist/aes_cache.pdf -- and pro --
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/64024/aes-timing.pdf), but nothing on
KDFs.

/Marcos.