Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 03:55:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: cache timing attacks (Re: [PHC] Initial multiply-compute-hardened Catena-3 benchmark)

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:33:59PM +0000, Marsh Ray wrote:
> Assume the attacker is able to rent a virtual machine sharing the same CPU as the defender. By observing his own perceived cache latency carefully, he is able to learn what memory locations are accessed by the defender during the hashing of a specific user's password. This has been demonstrated possible in practice.
>
> Now say the PHC algorithm imposes memory-latency hardness by using the supplied password to generate a seed with which to initialize a PRNG sequence to pick memory addresses within a large memory block. Going by the general rule that 50% of users choose one of the 10,000 most common passwords, the attacker only needs to learn just one or two cache line addresses in order to have a better than 50% chance of guessing the user's password on the first try.

This sounds about right, but:

This assumes that the salt is known to the attacker, which is usually
the case when the attacker has a copy of the salts+hashes database and
can run offline attacks already.  In order to check the 10k most common
passwords against cache line addresses, the attacker needs to partially
compute hashes - up to the point of first password-dependent lookup.
If this corresponds to a substantial portion of the full hash
computation, then that attacker hasn't gained all that much - only a
speedup of their offline attack by a certain factor, which we may try to
make reasonably small.  That factor may be larger if the portion without
password-dependent lookups, even if it is taking e.g. 50% of total time
for the defender, is somehow easier to attack (than the cache timings
leaking portion) - and this may well be the case for the approach
discussed so far (Catena's), as well as probably for any other we might
come up with.  However, that is yet another reason not to spend 100% of
time on cache timing attack resistant processing, as it would mean
making our hashes weaker against regular offline attacks (without cache
timing info).

An important detail: the password-dependent lookups, when they start to
be made, should depend on results of all prior computation, but not
directly on the original password, nor on some earlier intermediate
results (these lookups must not leak closer-to-password intermediate
results via cache timings).

So I currently think that a combination of the two approaches will work
best: Catena's followed by scrypt's, in certain maybe-tunable
proportion.  Yes, this means that upgraded hashes will have _relatively_
less cache timing resistant processing than same-duration new hashes,
but that's a tradeoff we need to accept (although for those who don't
want to, accepting having hashes weaker against regular offline attacks
instead, we may have the proportion tunable even to 100%, matching Catena).

Alexander