Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 06:15:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] escrypt funding disclosure

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 08:42:38PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> The DARPA guys picked a winner, IMO.

While our proposal won over many others competing for the funding, this
has nothing to do with any of the PHC submissions (not) winning the PHC
(which is to be decided much later by the PHC panel).

I think (and I hope) that none of the other teams working on PHC
submissions had applied for DARPA CFT funding.  I also hope that some do
have other funding, to level the playing field.

(The few other projects that I'm aware we happened to compete against
for the CFT funding were in different areas, not password hashing.
I know there were many more, but I don't know their specifics, so I can
only hope that none of them were PHC-related.)

As far as I'm aware, there's no connection between CFT and PHC, except
for funding of our one project.  I guess there are comparable
connections between e.g. universities and teams working on other PHC
submissions.

Alexander