Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:34:13 +0100
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] An argument for Catena-2

Hi Bill,

it seems that your 10X estimate is a bit pessimistic. If you have only half
of memory available, you can split it in half and store every 4th point
(v_i) from the first two rows in memory. Hence while computing the second
row, you need on average 1.5 steps on the first row from a distinguished
point to the immediate predecessor, and 2.5 steps on average in total.
Having spent G steps for the first row, you need 2.5*G for the second row.

The same holds for the third row, where for each new node you need on
average 1.5 steps on the second row. As they cost 2.5 on average, you will
need 2.5*1.5+1 = 4.75 steps on average for the third row, or 4.75*G in
total. Overall, you need about (4.75+2.5+1)G=8.25G steps, which should be
compared to 3G with the full memory available. Thus the penalty is 8.25/3 =
2.75 .

I have applied this algorithm to the example graph with g=3 from the Catena
presentation, and obtained 66 steps, which perfectly matches the above
estimate.

In general, if you have 1/q of memory available, this algorithm gives G for
the first row, ((2q-1)/2+1)G for the second row, and
(((2q-1)/2+1)(2q-1)/2+1) for the third row, or (q^2+3q+2.25)G in total,
which should be compared to 3G. The overall penalty is quadratic of q, but
grows not so fast. At q=10 the penalty is 44X. The second row calculation
can be further optimized.

Best regards,
Dmitry

--