Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 08:20:28 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Halting Password Puzzle support

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@....org> wrote:
> Bill Cox asks, "I just added Halting Password Puzzle support to my code.  There are no patent issues with it are there?"
>
> TLDR: Yes.
>
> Details
>
> The paper appeared in 2007: <http://ai.stanford.edu/~xb/security07/index.html>.  A related 2009 paper may also be valuable: <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1533057.1533089>   (available via <http://crypto.stanford.edu/~xb/asiaccs09/index.html>).
>
> Boyen does not list any patents on his Stanford CV.
>
> I found the patent that appears to be for this technique here: <http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=Boyen.INNM.&OS=IN/Boyen&RS=IN/Boyen>.
>
> It is US Patent 8,254,571, filed December 21, 2007 and issued August 28, 2012.  There appear to be at least 14 security-related patents with a Boyen as an inventor <http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=Boyen&FIELD1=INNM&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT>.

Yes, this is his patent.  IANAL, but I reviewed the claims - some are
new but easy to work around, and the rest are invalid due to prior art
in TrueCrypt.

However, the PHC would be foolish to allow anything in the code that
stinks of potential patent issues.  Even invalid claims such as these
can be the basis for lawsuits.  So... sorry, but no Halting Password
Puzzles for us!

In particular, the claims requiring the user to abort some password
hashing process are interesting and AFAIK new, but not required for
most real situations.  Are we really going to make a user press
"Abort" or "Retry" to retry a password?  I made no provision for such
user interaction, and instead the password hashing simply fails at
some maximum level of complexity.  The other claims that cover
password hashing without having the user halt hashing of incorrect
passwords are all invalid due to prior art in TrueCrypt.

Boyen may not have known that TrueCrypt has an ever-growing list of
KDF functions, which in general get more complex and resource
intensive as we go.  The user can specify which one to use, as a
"complexity parameter".  When a user enters a password, TrueCrypt
tries each one in sequence from least complex to most complex until it
finds one that matches a verification step.  Until this happens, it
continues in the loop until all methods have failed.  TrueCrypt is
careful not to allow an attacker to know any information about this
complexity parameter, so an attacker has to try all TrueCrypt's KDFs
to be sure a password guess is incorrect.

Therefore, I can, without violating any *valid* patents issued after
TrueCrypt was published, add NoelKDF with garlic 1 (1MiB) as a new
password KDF to TrueCrypt, and I can add NoelKDF with garlic 2 as
another KDF, and so on up to some reasonable limit like NoelKDF with
garlic 12 (4 GiB).  This is no different than what TrueCrypt does
today, and since it came first, it cannot violate any valid claims.

Here's my reading of the claims.  Independent claim 1 requires user
input to halt the loop, which we wont do.  Claims 2-6 depend on claim
1 and you can't violate them without first violating claim 1 so we can
ignore them.  Independent claim 7 also requires a user to manually
halt the loop, and claims 8-12 depend on 7.  Independent claim 13 is
nonsensical.  It specifies an infinite loop: "if there is no match ...
continuing in the loop".  Dependent claims 17 and 18 specifically
terminate the loop based on user input, which contradicts claim 13's
requirement of having an infinite loop.  The only hard part here is
interpreting claim 13 in some sensible way.  I interpret it to mean
what claims 17 and 18 amend it to mean, where user input is required
to halt the loop, so we can ignore it in it's infinite-loop
nonsensical form.  Claims 19-20 again require a user to stop the loop
manually.  Independent claim 21 patents what TrueCrypt already does,
except that it runs multiple threads in parallel.  That's one of those
"duh" claims, but fine, whatever.  The unfortunate reality is "duh"
claims like that are often the most powerful... Who would have thunk
to do stuff in parallel!?!  Let's patent it!  IIRC, the patent office
is currently frowning on "duh" claims like this, but I think this is a
new trend.  I didn't want to run it multi-threaded anyway :-p

Claim 22 is broad, but invalid due to prior art in TrueCrypt.  It
claims having a user selectable complexity parameter, where that
parameter is not made visible to an attacker in any way.  This is
exactly what TrueCrypt does, allowing a user to select a KDF from a
list, sorted from lowest to highest complexity.  The user's selection
is not made visible to an attacker, and TrueCrypt has to try each one
in sequence on each password guess.  Claims 23-25 depend on 22.

Independent claim 26 again requires an infinite loop: "continuing in
the loop until the trial password is determined to be valid", but does
not specify that a user can abort the loop.  As with claim 13, 26's
dependent claims 27-29 all rewrite claim 26 to allow the user to halt
the loop.  Giving Boyen the benefit of the doubt, we can interpret 26
to only apply when there is such a user interface, and we can ignore
it otherwise.

In general, I understand why people file software patents.  I don't
like them, but I've got several myself.  I refused to file one until a
competitor blanket patented an algorithm I invented that we'd
been using as a trade secret for years.  Boyen may not like software
patents anymore than I do.  His patent is assigned to Voltage Security, and
they may have required him to file it.  I can't really blame Voltage
Security for taking part in the software patent game.

However, it really sucks.  This patent looks bad for Boyen, IMO.  He
did after all do a lot to promote his Halting Password Puzzle idea,
and never mentioned his patent while promoting it, SFAIK.  There are
at least two of us in the PHC who were planing on implementing some
form of it.  In any case, I'm removing his ideas from my code and my
paper.

Do I have to go do a full password hashing patent search now?  Scrypt
easily could have been patented top to bottom, making this PHC nearly
pointless.  It says a lot about the author that he didn't go this
route.  If Catena were patented front to back, that would also suck
heavily, and I hate to think what would happen if SolarDesigner
patented everything he ever thought of.  Patent's like Boyen's make
the world less secure.  The generosity of ideas I'm seeing from the
likes of Christian Forler, Alexander Peslyak, and Colin Percival is
making the world more secure.

Bill