Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 06:46:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 08:01:43AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> Wouldn't we want PMULLW rather than PMULUDQ?  4 packed 32x32->32 lower
> mimics the C 32-bit multiply, and gives the same result for both
> signed and unsigned multiplication, which is nice for Java
> compatibility.

PMULLW is 8 packed 16x16->16.  I felt that if we go for 16x16, we
probably want to take the upper 16 bits of result (so PMULHW or PMULHUW
or PMULHRSW), not lower, although this does make the signedness matter.

We'd need to compare ASIC circuit sizes for lower vs. upper 16 bits.

Do you feel 16x16->16 is better than 16x16->hi16?

Yes, the latencies and throughput for PMULHW and PMULHUW as given in the
table I had posted also apply to their lo16 counterparts.

PMULHW (16x16->hi16 signed, up to x16 on AVX2) is nice in that it's
available across all the range from MMX to AVX2, with proper scaling
(x4 with MMX, x8 with SSE2, x16 with AVX2).  It also has sane speeds.
Ditto for PMULLW.

Yet I like 32x32 inputs more.

There's also the option of using PMULLW/PMULHW as building blocks to
implement 32x32 on archs where native SIMD 32x32 is slow.  I think it'll
take 3 of 16x16's to implement 32x32->32, so width 16/3 = more than 5 of
32x32's on AVX2, which compares favorably with one PMULUDQ, which only
does 4 on AVX2 - but combining the 3 instructions will add latency and
lower overall throughput, making this weird approach not worthwhile.

Do we have any 32x32->64 in Java(Script) at all, whether signed or
unsigned?  I'm not familiar with Java(Script).

In C, I'd prefer unsigned, because this is expressed with trivial casts
from uint32_t to uint64_t (usually not generating any instructions) and
multiplication.  For signed, the corresponding casts would potentially
generate sign extension instructions (the compiler would need to be
somewhat smart to pick a signed 32x32->64 multiply instead, although I
hope most modern optimizing compilers are smart enough).  Also, we have
SIMD unsigned 32x32->64 starting with SSE2, but signed only starting
with SSE4.1.

Alexander