Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 18:20:38 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

I wrote an SSE 4.1 version of the inner hash loop in NoelKDF, with a
quick hack where I compute 4 separate interleaved hashes, so it gets a
different answer, and has 4 times the parallelism.  I used the fast
packed 32x32->32 multiply available on my Ivy Bridge processor
(_mm_mullo_epi32), which we know will run a lot slower on Haswell.
This instruction isn't even available until SSE 4.1, so that's a
narrow band of processors that support it well.

The single-thread results dropped from 0.76 seconds to hash 2GB to 0.4
seconds.  With two threads, it takes 0.3 seconds, so pretty darned
fast.  The down-side here is the chains of multiplications are all cut
to 1/4th the length, while I only got a 1.9X increase in speed.  That
means an attacker will complete the hash a 4X faster, while I
completed it only 1.9X faster, if computation speed is the bottleneck.
 On the other hand, if memory bandwidth is the bottleneck, the
attacker will take 1.9X longer to compute the hash compared to me.
With the fastest version - two threads x 4-way SIMD - an attacker gets
an 8X advantage in computation time, while I only get a 2.5X
advantage, giving him a 3X compute time advantage.  However, I also
make him buy 2.5X more memory that the single-threaded non-SIMD case.
I wish I could ask the right guy at the NSA which version he hates
more :-)

This all fits closely with my guess that an SSE version would take
about 9 cycles in the loop, compared to 4 for the native version,
while computing 4X the number of results as the native version.

I'm leaning towards abandoning this hack and SIMD all together.  With
two threads, a user on my machine gets 9.5BG of bandwidth, hashing 2GB
in .42 seconds, which isn't too bad compared to the 13GB he'd get with
two threads and 4-way SIMD, and an attacker only gains a 10.5%
advantage in compute time over me.

Bill