Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:39:13 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> wrote:
> This small random read runtime penalty is driving me crazy.  If it
> were just my Ivy Bridge processor, I could maybe explain it as a weird
> Intel/gcc quirk.  I just don't see how to explain this happening on
> both Intel and AMD processors while the assembly code looks about
> right.
>
> Bill

It looks like there's something goofy going on with L1 cache.  When I
manually call memcpy on the 'from' block to a local buffer on the
stack, it runs much faster.  Some prefetch intrinsic might help here.
It also helps a lot if I have an inner loop over 8 32-bit sequential
values, which is probably good for AVX2, and it matches the bit width
of SHA-256.

I'll play around with it some more.

Bill