Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:49:04 -0700
From: Taylor Hornby <havoc@...use.ca>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Are password trailing 0's a problem?

On 03/07/2014 09:04 AM, Taylor Hornby wrote:
> Is that part of the PBKDF2 specification, or an artifact of using a
> null-terminated string as the password parameter?
>
> I infer from the following test vector (RFC 6070) that zero bytes should
> be allowed in passwords (and salts):

Nope, I am wrong. It actually is "proper" PBKDF2 behavior. I had to try
it to convince myself:

https://eval.in/115864

I'm amazed the designers of PBKDF2 either didn't realize it, or knew
about it published it anyway. I'm also amazed that I never knew about it
until now. Good thing we are having the PHC.

--
Taylor Hornby