Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 04:13:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] TigerKDF paper and code ready for review

Bill,

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:50:48AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> I'm not trying to have resistance as strong as Bcrypt at 4KiB, but I
> would like the resistance to be stronger for a small size, preferably
> much less than 1MiB.

Right.  Same here.

> Any 4KiB hashing algorithm is highly
> parallelizable on a custom ASIC, and with high CPU count generic
> processors coming, I doubt anyone should count on a 4KiB hash being
> secure.  Even 1MiB fast cache memories can likely integrate somewhere
> between 16 to 64 on a reasonable sized 28nm ASIC, and I don't even
> want to think about how many 4KiB cores we could integrate.

I primarily think of this differently: what's the amount of processing
and memory usage that the oldest/smallest relevant system can afford?
This should be our smallest target, regardless of what attacks it allows
for or does not allow.  We simply should do almost the best we can given
the resources we have in each case.  ASICs are not the only threat.  If
we happen not to defend against ASICs in a given case, we should
nevertheless do our best to defend against other threats.

> At least with AVX2 on Haswell, I would be surprised if Bcrypt's inner
> loop were faster, so for hashing out of just L1 cache, I'm probably
> good on that platform vs current GPUs.

Are you trying to say that on Haswell you read 64 byte blocks as rapidly
as bcrypt reads 4 byte blocks (also on Haswell)?  I think this is false.
So you lose to bcrypt in terms of attacks with GPU implementations that
choose to use global memory, and they will choose to do so if this is the
faster attack.

> As you say, it's the older CPUs that are problematic for GPU defense.

Not exactly.  I say that older CPUs are more problematic for defending
against GPU attacks when the same code+settings is attempted to be used
for both older and newer CPUs.

This does not mean that defending against GPUs is trivial on newer CPUs
(at sub-megabyte memory per hash), unless you're willing to give up on
certain other desirable properties.  This is not trivial.

I'll try to find time to comment on the rest of your message later.

Alexander