Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 04:31:30 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Are password trailing 0's a problem?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 07:20:49PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > BTW, Bill's choice of BLAKE2 for the sole cryptographic primitive, while
> > sound technically, may be problematic for some prospective users.
>
> Good point.  I just read a bit more about SHA3, and it sounds like I
> might get more acceptance using Blake2...
>
> Maybe I should just plug SHA-256 back in like I had before, just for
> the hashing at the start and finish.

If you keep block size at >= 4 KiB (usually too large, in my opinion,
even if smaller sizes result in measurable slowdown), then you can as
well use SHA-256 for everything.

> > [...] I am thinking of a suitably minimal change to scrypt's use
> > of PBKDF2 so that the two problems pointed out in this thread today
> > would not affect escrypt (except in scrypt compat mode).  Unfortunately,
> > those minimal changes feel hackish.  For example, I could XOR the
> > least significant byte of password length into each derived key block
> > after the initial PBKDF2 call.  How does this sound to you?  (One byte
> > should be enough since it contains all the info that is otherwise lost
> > with padding.  And there's no endianness issue.)
> >
> > Alexander
>
> I get a wiggy feeling now when stuff gets XORed together and then use
> the result directly, after Steve's attack on my original NoelKDF
> function, and after reading about the PBKDF2 chosen c attack which is
> only possible because they XORed results together.  XORing in the
> length is simple, but I might just go ahead and do the work of using
> Init, Update, and Finalize and hash in the input length directly.

XORing is a higher risk when neither input comes directly from a crypto
hash or/and when the two inputs are similarly derived.  (I think in your
example it was both of these things.  Inside PBKDF2, it is the latter.)
When XORing in lengths into PBKDF2 output blocks, those blocks are a
result of a crypto hash, whereas the lengths have not similarly passed
through the crypto hash.  scrypt similarly XORs things where one has
passed through a crypto hash (Salsa20/8 in scrypt's case) at least one
more time (or is it actually at least 2 more times, for r=1?)  So I
think further complexity here is not justified.

Thank you for your opinion, though!

Alexander