Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 00:27:12 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] "Why I Don't Recommend Scrypt"

Thomas,

Thank you for your comments (and on "multiply latency reduction via
table lookups" as well, which I didn't have a chance to thank you for
yet, so I do now)!

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 06:52:00PM -0000, pornin@...et.org wrote:
> Actually this calls for further comments: RAM bandwidth is a scarce
> resource on busy servers.

FWIW, I commented on this in here a month ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/593/focus=604

In short: I mostly disagree with the opinion you express, although I see
how you (and others) can arrive at that opinion (it is intuitive).
I'd probably be of that opinion too if it weren't for the benchmarks I
ran on actual servers, etc.

> Theory of password hashing is often expressed as following: the defender
> wants to use a function for which the best possible cracking hardware is
> what the defender already uses, i.e. his server (which is, basically, a PC
> with a general purpose CPU, a few cores, and some gigabytes of RAM). But
> that assertion does not capture the whole thing. Indeed, the defender also
> wants that the function runs on the kind of resource that is available in
> largest amount on his side. All this password hashing business is a muscle
> contest: the attacker has more patience and strength, but the defender
> chooses the battleground and engagement rules. The defender ought to
> select rules which favours him.

Correct.

> It seems to me that common servers are much more starved on memory
> bandwidth than on CPU.

That's common wisdom, but it's not necessarily true.  It depends.

> On a typical server, the CPU spend substantial
> amounts of time waiting for the RAM to return a requested byte.

"Substantial", yes.  However, RAM bandwidth is idle for "substantial"
periods of time as well.

> Therefore,
> it is much easier for a server to allocate 10 ms worth of CPU time to a
> password hashing instance when the computation will fit and remain in the
> L1 cache for one core. If the function behaves nicely in that respect,
> then the cost is 10 ms for one core. If the function operates on a large
> RAM array, then it will clog the common RAM bus and virtually stall the
> other cores; the bill raises from "10 ms on one core" to (at most) "10 ms
> on _all_ cores".

Oh, even the worst case is not that bad, by far.  Suppose we actually
had only one memory channel (generally not true on current servers) and
suppose we could fully use it from one core (also generally not true on
current PC hardware(*)).  Under these unrealistic conditions, what would
it take to "virtually stall" other cores, which compete for the shared
memory bus equally with our password hashing core?  If they need memory
bandwidth as much as we do, this would imply they're already "stalling"
each other as much as you think we would, and this would also imply that
they and not us would continue to be consuming most bandwidth.  If they
don't need the memory bandwidth as much as we do, then we also don't
slow them down that much (they have other work to do while we're using
the shared bus).  And in practice things are much better than that.

(*) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19472036/does-software-prefetching-allocate-a-line-fill-buffer-lfb

Here's another way to look at the (theoretical) worst case mentioned
above: suppose all cores execute instruction streams such that each and
every instruction would access the shared memory bus.  Suppose our
password hashing task does this too, for its selfish needs, and does it
for 10ms of memory bus time (would be 10ms of CPU time if the bus were
idle).  Does it really steal 10ms of memory bus time from each other
core, multiplying the effect (as you seem to imply)?  No, it steals 10ms
from all of them combined, which is equivalent to stealing it from any
_one_ of them (or stealing proportionately less than 10ms from each).
So I think you have flawed logic there.

RAM is not disks.  It is relatively painless to share between concurrent
tasks, with low overhead.

A currently typical server has roughly twice more CPU cores than memory
channels (and four times more hardware threads than memory channels).
Yes, this does make memory bandwidth a somewhat scarce resource, but
there's nothing stopping us from tuning our password hashing scheme such
that the full memory bandwidth usage is reached only when all hardware
threads are running our code.  When the authentication request rate is
lower than the maximum capacity we've planned for, there are both
hardware threads and memory bandwidth left for other tasks.  In fact,
even at the peak rate and above (which "shouldn't happen"), other tasks
can still compete with us and get their fair share of both CPU time and
memory bandwidth.  (Of course, temporarily running above capacity is
risky in other ways.  What I am saying is that we haven't made things
worse.  It's all the same risks and resource sharing.)

In fact, in my testing nothing bad happens even if full memory bandwidth
usage is reached way sooner.  The available memory bandwidth is shared
fairly and gracefully between the tasks, just like CPU time is, and
since most other tasks actually don't need memory bandwidth as much,
they're not impacted much.  But there's no need to use settings like
that, because the settings are to be tuned for sufficient throughput,
not for higher resource usage at lower than peak throughput.

> Of course, all of this depends on the context (number of cores, available
> memory bandwidth depending on what the other cores do, average and peak
> number of hashes per second...).

Right.

> However, it means that, generically
> speaking, scrypt-like functions which run on CPU are not necessarily a
> good idea, because they exercise resources which are already a bottleneck.

scrypt was designed not to bump into the memory bandwidth, at least
not when running only one thread.  At 8 rounds of Salsa20, it stays
below saturating memory bandwidth on typical PC hardware (albeit for
reasons other than what you give: it tries to have its "time" factor
based on computation effort rather than on bandwidth).  OK, you said
"scrypt-like", and yes some scrypt-like PHC candidates will deliberately
use more memory bandwidth than scrypt does.

> (Or, said more succintly: if you want to engage in a sports contest, and
> you are 5' tall, then don't choose basketball.)

Makes sense, but I think it primarily means that we shouldn't compete
with attackers solely in terms of memory bandwidth per se.  The reason
why TwoCats and escrypt use more memory bandwidth (than scrypt) is that
they want to use more RAM within the allotted time (and discourage
TMTO).  More RAM means more ASIC die area.  (For EARWORM, this is
different.  Being ROM-only, it actually competes solely in terms of
memory bandwidth, which is a drawback.)

Alexander