Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 21:56:29 -0700
From: "Jeremy Spilman" <jeremy@...link.co>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net, "Thomas Pornin" <pornin@...et.org>
Subject: Re: [PHC] On Delegation (Was: "Why I Don't Recommend Scrypt")

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:19:24 -0700, Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org> wrote:

> The salt 's' is assumed to be known to everybody. D is modeled as a
> passive attacker: D will faithfully run the requested computation (if D
> is an active attacker, then it can disrupt the service by simply not
> responding, or returning random junk).

> If you can describe how such a thing could be built on top of, say,
> bcrypt, then please show me.

I'm with you all the way to the point where you say salt 's' is assumed to
be public.

Alternatively, salt is 64 bytes from a CS-PRNG, and stored directly
alongside the resultant hash value in the validator database.

Handing over just an intermediate hash value to the external service, but
not the CS-PRNG generated salt, the passive attacker observing all
communication between the site and the external service would still need
access to the validator database of the site to steal any plains.