Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 07:17:24 +0000
From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@....freebsd.dk>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [PHC] So what exactly happened to cause the PHC?

In message <CAOLP8p5fY9OEj9WrmVYCiUTH1_-9BoSUZSAAEHESzWB7AST6Qg@...l.gmail.com>, Bill Cox writes:

>I think I read a year-ish (or two) ago that the author of MD5 was
>giving up maintaining the *nix /etc/password code because he couldn't
>get anyone to let him fix it, and it clearly is so out of date that it
>would make anyone interested in security go nuts.  Is this right?  My
>memory is infamous for it's flaws.

No, it was more like me yelling really hard to get people to stop using
an almost 20 year old password-scrambler I had written, because they
needed something stronger.

To what extent that influenced the PHC, if at all, I don't know,
but the original instigators can probably clear that up ?

phk@...eBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956