Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 07:36:58 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] TwoCats multiplication chain

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> In current TwoCats, you have:
>>
>>                 // Compute the multiplication chain
>>                 for(uint32_t k = 0; k < multiplies; k++) {
>>                     v = (uint32_t)v * (uint64_t)oddState[k];
>>                     v ^= randVal;
>>                     randVal += v >> 32;
>>                 }
>>
>> I think this has twice lower ASIC attack latency than what you
>> probably expected.  Here are some test questions: can the next
>> multiplication start being computed before the previous one completes?
>> Can this reduce total latency for two multiplications, and by how much?
>>
>> In a 32x32 multiplier, the highest latency is for bit 31 of the result.
>> I look at these diagrams when considering what happens there:
>>
>> http://www10.edacafe.com/book/ASIC/Book/Book/Book/CH02/CH02.6.php?interstitial_displayed=Yes#pgfId=167904
>>
>> In your code, only one of the partial products for bit 31 depends on the
>> previous iteration's bit 31 of v.  Thus, almost all of the partial
>> products can start being computed before bit 31 of the previous
>> iteration's v is ready.

Here's my modified multiplication chain code.  It does two
multiplications per loop, and uses only the upper 32 bits, which are
harder to speed up in hardware than the lower 32:

                // Compute the multiplication chain
                for(uint8_t k = 0; k < multiplies; k++) {
                    a ^= (uint64_t)b*c >> 32;
                    b += c;
                    c ^= (uint64_t)a*d >> 32;
                    d += a;
                }

The 4 variables are initialized from the "state" values.  This
function allows the additions to be done in parallel, but the
multiplications and xors must be sequential.  It runs well on both 32
and 64 bit Intel architectures in my tests.

There is a multiplication poisoning issue, but with the 4 variables, I
have not seen it occur after a billion iterations, so the percentage
of blocks that would have poisoned chains is tiny.  The poisoning
would occur if a and c both become 0 or 1 at the same time.
Otherwise, if only a or c is 0 or 1, changes in b and d should kick
them back into higher values.

Will this do?

Bill