Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 20:55:25 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] pufferfish

Jeremi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 01:39:58AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> OK, maybe it makes sense to apply this approach to L2, despite of the
> inefficiency.  Or maybe not.  Typical L2 is 256 KB/core (it has actually
> decreased in size when L3 was introduced), meaning 64 KB/thread may be
> "safe" to use.  At this size, my guess is you give advantage to some GPU
> attackers vs. your typical defender, for the reason explained above.

I did some testing with escrypt's S-boxes, and things are reasonably
good.  For the first few doublings of S-box size, beyond L1 cache size
but still fitting in L2 cache, there's only a ~10% performance hit per
doubling on Sandy Bridge-EP.  It's not worse than that in part because
escrypt also does some L2/L3/RAM accesses anyway, so there's some L1
cache thrashing going on anyway.  For pufferfish, the slowdown per
doubling of S-box size might be a bit higher (although I guess it'd
start only with 16 -> 32 KiB), but perhaps not terribly so.  1 MiB total
memory, 2 threads/core, slowdown by S-box size:

8 -> 16 KiB: 7%
16 -> 32 KiB: 12%
32 -> 64 KiB: 17%
64 -> 128 KiB: 21%

Total since 8 KiB: 53% of original performance remains

112 GiB ROM + 1.75 MiB RAM, 2 threads/core, slowdown by S-box size:

8 -> 16 KiB: 10%
16 -> 32 KiB: 10%
32 -> 64 KiB: 10%
64 -> 128 KiB: 19%

Total since 8 KiB: 60% of original performance remains

On Bulldozer, things are significantly worse, but not necessarily to the
point of this being totally inappropriate.  1 MiB total memory, 2
threads/core, slowdown by S-box size (same test as the first one given
for Sandy Bridge-EP above):

8 -> 16 KiB: 20%
16 -> 32 KiB: 28%
32 -> 64 KiB: 11%
64 -> 128 KiB: 13%

Total since 8 KiB: 44% of original performance remains

I stopped this at 128 KiB since going beyond 256 KiB combined for the
two threads is "unsafe" for many CPUs, so higher values are probably not
reasonable due to higher risk of incurring unacceptable slowdowns after
migrations to other/future systems.  Indeed, we could test them anyway.

This is for AVX builds of current development escrypt.  The random
lookups are 128-bit wide, made with AVX instructions.  They're uniformly
distributed over the S-boxes of the sizes given above.

Alexander