Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:35:11 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] pufferfish

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 06:49:22PM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
>> Alexander, this is totally off topic...
>
> It's on topic for this list, but off topic for this thread.  You could
> have asked the same question in a correct thread, such as the one you
> had started for SkinnyCat. ;-)
>
>> but did you see my submission
>> yesterday?  I am worried gmail sometimes drops emails with attachments
>> without any warning that I see.
>
> Yes, I saw there was "TwoCats submission, which contains the SkinnyCat
> sub-project as well", but I did not look at it.  I expect that someone
> else on the PHC panel (perhaps JP) will respond to you about it.
>
> Alexander

Great, thanks.  Back on topic, my #1 request for PufferFish would be
having a 4KiB-ish block size with a user-defined repeat count, after
which it would be mixed with another 4KiB block.  This could L1-cache
compute-time harden the algorithm while being effective against GPUs,
couldn't it?  With a low repeat count, it could hash a lot of external
DRAM.  I like the simplicity, but busting out of L1 cache seems
problematic.

Bill