Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 13:38:05 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] PHC Zoo ?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a "PHC Zoo" maintained or scheduled to be maintained somehwere,
> in the spirit of the SHA-3 Zoo and CAESAR Zoo ?
>
> Or is that a work which is in need of being performed and I just
> volunteered for it ?
>

>         --Thomas Pornin

I just went and found out what the SHA3 zoo was.  Looks, cool, but for
continued fun, now that the fun of writing an entry is over, is it
cool to make a hobby out of attacking all the submissions, even if I
have an entry?  If so, where is the place to discuss weaknesses of
various hashing algorithms?

I notice that poor AntCrypt is suffering from early cryptanalysis
already, probably because it's alphabetically first in the list.  I
see SolarDesigner's yescript is cleverly last in the list :-)

>From the first few I've skimmed through (alphabetically of course),
one thing seems clear: Catena wins even if Catena loses.  I see Catena
inspired features all over the place, or at least they seem Catena
inspired to me.  Maybe there are older influential algorithms I don't
know about.  Bcrypt and Scrypt also seem to be a winners...

I see fewer Bill Cox inspired features, though maybe I helped
advertise Catena features and helped in that way.  Of the first few,
none seem maniacally focused on speed... oh, well.  Maybe there's a
screaming fast algorithm in there somewhere.  I look forward to
finding anything as fast as yescript or faster.  Just for fun, of
course.  I delight in "alternate" win conditions, and if mine hashes
more memory per thread per second than the rest, I'm going to feel
pretty good, even if that's a silly measure :-)

Bill