Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:23:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh@...ndonenright.net>
Cc: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A little nit which bothers me...

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:22:27AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
> If it is possible for an attacker to "build a profile" of either
> data-dependent branching or memory access behavior then they can
> abandon any search that doesn't match the profile.
>
> So suppose you're hashing an input, say "password" with scrypt and you
> build a profile of did (1) or didn't (0) do something or access some
> memory in some way that results in a profile like
> 0111001101011111010....
>
> Even if the whole profile is millions of "bits" long, if an attacker is
> guessing "123456" and the profile starts out 110011101101... they can
> abandon the search for 123456 immediately because it doesn't match the
> profile.
>
> My designs suffers from this.  scrypt (I think) suffers from this too.
>
> For an offline attack where all an attacker has is the hashes, this
> issue doesn't matter.  But for an "online" attack where the attacker is
> able to build profiles whenever a defender performs some hashing, the
> attacker can use this knowledge to prune guesses early.

Right, for an online attack where the online attacker additionally
already has a copy of the salts (or can guess them via similar profiling
of candidate {password, salt} pairs, but this is easily defeated by
making salts sufficiently large and unpredictable).

We've discussed this in here (or/and on crypt-dev) before.  Where have
you been? ;-)

> I mentioned the "fingerprinting" ability of ocrypt in my paper but I
> didn't realize that it could be used to avoid performing lots of work
> until now.
>
> I'm slightly comforted though that the only culprit isn't just
> data-dependant branching.  Data-dependant memory accesses have the same
> issue.

Correct.  A difference, however, is that data-dependent memory accesses
are already part of state-of-the-art password hashing schemes - bcrypt
and scrypt - so by (still) having them in new schemes at least we're not
taking on extra risks.  Data-dependent branching has not been used as
much yet, with the exception of SunMD5.  I also don't see a lot of
benefit from adding data-dependent branches to a scheme that already
does data-dependent memory accesses.  Existing schemes with
data-dependent memory accesses (bcrypt and scrypt) are a success,
whereas existing scheme with data-dependent branches (SunMD5) is not: it
doesn't let typical defenders use SIMD, but it failed at preventing
attackers from using SIMD.  I think this is not a coincidence: it is
too easy to (inadvertently) have such data-dependent branching that it
has more impact on defenders (with their limited external supply of
parallelism) than on attackers.

To mitigate the side-channel leaks, I had suggested starting with
data-dependent memory accesses later in the hashing process, not at the
very beginning.  I think Bill Cox implemented that, or at least he was
going to (I have yet to look at TwoCats as submitted).  I am planning on
adding a flag to yescrypt to do that.  Unfortunately, I failed to find
time to do it before the submission deadline.

Alexander