Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:20:05 +0200
From: Ralf Zimmermann <ralf.zimmermann@....de>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] data-dependent branching (Re: [PHC] A little nit which
 bothers me...)

While you are correct about running this in parallel (by spending some
area) and discarding the output, there is a small advantage by using
data dependent operations in my opinion:

Let's say you use those four functions and just do x ^= y, then x +=
y, then x -= y, then x <<<= y (assuming that you somehow cannot
combine addition and subtraction just for the sake of the argument).
You need area for all 4 operations (again assuming you cannot reuse
the adder). This is exactly the same area for the operation as if you
did this in parallel and discarded the unused results.

But in this scenario, you can pipeline the sequence, adding a pipeline
stage between the operations. Thus, after the initial pipeline delay,
you receive a result of the full sequence (all functions in a row)
every clock cycle.

The idea of the data dependent sequence we aimed for in AntCrypt is to
enforce the sequence (all functions in a row) but *without* the
possibility of a pipelined version by only adding the pipeline
registers: you have to execute all functions in parallel in every step
and then continue with *one* of the results in *one* of the other
functions.

This means, you cannot use an initial delay and afterwards receive the
result every clock cycle, *unless* you unroll it and spend area for
all functions in every pipeline step (please correct me if I am wrong,
maybe I did not think this through correctly?).

This does not matter if you use friendly functions like XOR, shift,
etc., but we hope that using more complex but still CPU friendly
functions (this is why we tried floating-point), the area consumption
*may* hurt a little more.

@Bill: Of course you are correct and memory usage in memory-restricted
environments may be a better way to annoy FPGAs. But as we primarily
included the branching to slow down GPUs, we thought about how it may
still add a little bit to FPGAs :)

Cheers,
Ralf

On 04/03/2014 05:04 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> writes:
>
>> Data dependent branching doesn't seem to buy as much ASIC
>> resistance as some PHC submitters seem to think, IMO.
>
> Nor do data-dependent ops, which came up in a private discussion
> some time ago (and were quickly shot down).  Imagine something like
> (in simplified form):
>
> switch( x & 3 ) { case 0: x ^= y; break; case 1: x += y; break;
> case 2: x -= y; break; case 3: x <<<= y; break; case 4: puts( "WTF"
> ); }
>
> The idea is that this is difficult to pipeline since each op is
> data- dependent, however if you use speculative execution and run
> each step in parallel (easy on an FPGA/ASIC) and then discard all
> the ones that weren't needed, you lose any advantage you've
> gained.
>
> Peter.

- --
Dipl.-Inform. Ralf Zimmermann
EMSEC - Embedded Security Group
Dept. of Electr. Eng. & Information Sciences
Ruhr-University Bochum, ID 2/627, 44801 Bochum
Phone: +49 (0)234 32-27815
Fax: +49 (0)234 32-14389
http://www.emsec.rub.de