lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 05:17:17 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: EARWORM review

I spent a couple of hours going through EARWORM.  I am impressed.  The
only complaint I have is the use of PBKDF2.  Maybe in the tweak period
EARWORK could adopt Solar Designer's latest hack and do a SHA256 on
the password before calling PBKDF2.  I think that's a very nice way to
eliminate the input collisions.

The paper addressed every concern I had, and admitted every weakness I
could find, including the input collisions due to PBKDF2.  I tested it
on my development machine, and a single thread achieves about 12GiB of
read bandwidth to memory, which is about the same as what my TwoCats
does with two threads.

It does require the AES SIMD instructions to run anywhere near this
fast, but that's not a problem for a dedicated authentication server.
For an authentication server using a large ROM, I think EARWORM it
would be hard to beat.  It's very nice work.  I didn't even need to
read the security proofs.  It's security is plain as day from the
design and reliance on PBKDF2-SHA256 and AES-128.  Side-channel
attacks are possible, as discussed in the paper, but if an attacker is
already running processes on your authentication server, you've got
bigger problems.

Now I'm going to have to modify my "alternate win condition".  Now I'm
just hoping to have the fastest memory hashing per thread not counting
those annoying ROM based authentication server schemes :-)

Bill