Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 06:55:41 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Gambit review

Gambit is a memory hard hash function that is cache-timing resistant.
I don't think the author proved a lower bound on memory useage that an
attacker requires, but I can provide one here:

If t_cost ==  m_cost*5, then Gambit achieves at least the same
computation penalty as Catena-3 for attackers trying to use 0.5% or
less of memory, so O(G^4/S^3).  There.  That was easy :-)

It's a trivial comparison because for every 1% of the last row (5th
row) I pebble, I force an attacker with only 0.5% pebble coverage of
memory to recompute half of the prior row.  This is just like the
Catena proof.  I use something similar for TwoCats.  The reason I
needed 5 rows rather than 4 was the first row is all 0's and don't add
anything.  So, it's memory hard, and there is a reasonable lower bound
on forced recomputations.  Good deal.

Gambit shares Catena's limitations, fixes one, and adds a few new ones.

For limitations it shares:

- It's only good for hashing in on-chip cache, due to small reads that
will cause cache misses to dominate for defenders, but not attackers,
when running in external DRAM.  So, think 20MiB or less.  Nothing big
like Script uses.

- Predictable reads offer little defense against GPU attacks, even
though the reads are small, and the small memory means you can't just
blow into main shared memory big-time as defense.

- ASIC resistance is very poor, because predictable access pattern
reads can be accelerated in an ASIC to the order of 1 PiB/s
(peta-byte/s).  That's many orders of magnitude better.  Also, he hash
function offers very weak runtime hardening, and can also be speed up
a few orders of magnitude.  Combined, I expect at least a 1,000,000X
speedup on an ASIC.  It is worse for Gambit than Catena due to the
unfortunate choice of SHA3, which takes far longer to compute in
software than in hardware.

- Slow memory hashing function means it wont run anywhere near Scrypt
speed, lowering time*memory security proportionally.

Gambit does have one advantage over Catena.  If memory is leaked, the
hashed data written to memory cannot be distinguished from random.  In
contrast, Catana blocks are hashed in a predictable pattern that can
be recomputed by an attacker directly from the leaked memory to verify
Catena origin.  This is useful partly to help identify the oldest
blocks, which will speed up aborting incorrect guesses.

On the down side, I would prefer to see more "strongly secure" PHS's.
I did not see any obvious attacks, but since very few inputs are added
to the hash state, other inputs might be able to be manipulated to
implement some form of banana attack.  To fix this, all the author has
to do is absorb the rest the inputs.

Overall, its a nice little Catena inspired PHS.  The sponge
construction does simplify the code.  However, I don't see much
differentiation from Catena, other than using a sponge, and
unfortunately the choice of SHA3 exaserbates what I feel is Catena's
greatest weakness (FPGA and ASIC attacks).  This PHS will get chewed
to pieces in an ASIC attack, and I think I could do an FPGA design
runs maybe 100X faster.  Predictable memory reads on an FPGA using
block RAMs should run at somewhere from many GiB/s to a few TiB/s.
The sponge should prove fast and tiny in an FPGA as well.

I did not find any errors, and I do believe it is secure.  It is
simple enough and similar enough to Catena to verify security with a
single read through the code.

Bill