Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 17:21:44 +0100
From: Peter Maxwell <peter@...icient.co.uk>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] POMELO fails the dieharder tests

On 5 April 2014 16:40, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Peter Maxwell <peter@...icient.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > On 5 April 2014 07:15, Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke@...il.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> POMELO is one of a handful of PHC candidates which are not constructed
> >> around any established cryptographic hash function or cipher. POMELO's
> >> security claims include collision-resistance. Unfortunately, its output
> >> fails the dieharder tests.
> >>

> > While I don't have the time myself to do it this weekend, it might be
> better
> > actually looking at the PHS output and what's going on in the reference
> > implementation because you'd expect at least a wee bit of non-zero
> results.
> > What you've got looks like a bug somewhere.
>
> Looking at the output is a fine idea.  However, I feel very strongly
> that computational verification is important.  What Daniel is doing
> needs to be done.

​I was suggesting looking at the output/code because it sounds like a bug.

Any randomness tests, for what they're worth in this context, must also be
done very carefully.​

> > Also, although it's probably not what's causing your results here, I'm
> > fairly sure that the dieharder tests aren't great for short inputs.
>
> He ran it in a mode where pomelo is called repeatedly, generating what
> should look like an infinite source of random data.  He did it the
> right way, and I see no bug in his code.

​Strictly speaking, statistical randomness in the output isn't that
important (stop and think about it).

You're really concerned about three things:

i. collisions, i.e. you must be assured that the function is at least
injective on the specified domain;

ii. that the function is not invertible in less work than it takes to
calculate the hash via the standard route;

iii. that that there is no short-cut method to calculate the hash result;

iv. that the salt is random.

​[snip]​

> The salt is overwriting the password.  I fixed that in my version, but
> the output is still massively non-random.  I printed the output for
> several passwords in dieharder format, and found that output values
> get repeated a ton.  There's at least one more bug in there.

​I haven't looked at pomelo but, yes, it does sound like a bug or ​whatever
the collective noun for bugs is (a "keyboard" of bugs?).

Content of type "text/html" skipped