Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:13:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Any other authores ready for benchmarking? (was [PHC] Lyra2 initial review)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 02:34:26PM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
> Yesterday, I had some fun benchmarking Lyra2, TwoCats, and Yescrypt.  Are
> there any other authors who would like their algorithms benchmarked?  I'd
> be happy to start tabulating data on all the entries that are ready for
> benchmarking.  After yesterday's hack-fest, I don't feel simply running the
> PHS routines without the involvement of the author is likely to generate
> useful data, so I'm only going to do benchmarking the authors request for
> now.

Makes sense.

> We should discuss what to measure and how to report it.  Is there a better
> place than posting it here?

I think posting in here is fine, and depending on how much data we have
and how confident we are in it, we may put it on the wiki.

> I think we maybe we need three memory size categories, where PHC entries
> can be benchmarked in any or all of them.  Basically, the 3 memory sizes
> correspond to:
>
> - L1 cache bound:  how about 8KiB?
> - Cache bound: how about 8MiB?
> - External DRAM bound: how about 2GiB?

I think it's better to separate by use case.  Surely we can afford more
than 8 KiB even on older systems (glibc has been using 128 KiB for
UFC-crypt since 1990s, not giving any lower-memory choice).  However,
Pufferfish might suffer when we exceed L1 cache.  Also, we need to
consider that the hashing scheme likely allocates a small fixed amount
of memory on top of what's requested (for yescrypt it'd be another
8 KiB for S-boxes, and some more).  Normally, this wouldn't matter, but
at L1'ish m_cost settings it could easily double or triple the actual
memory usage for _some_ of the schemes, thereby making the comparison
somewhat unfair.

Anyway, we can try:

- L1 cache bound: 8 KiB (plus whatever fixed "overhead" there may be),
along with higher t_cost, roughly to match running times for 1 MiB:

- High throughput user authentication: 1 MiB (at default/optimal t_cost)

- Low throughput user authentication: 16 MiB (scrypt paper's recommended)

- KDF use: 1 GiB (scrypt paper's recommended) or any higher number of GiB

I think it's good to include the 16 MiB and 1 GiB for a direct
comparison against speeds given in scrypt paper (even though those were
for suboptimal scrypt code on an older CPU).

For all but "KDF use", only per-machine throughput matters, so only
include speeds for running as many concurrent threads as the CPU
supports in hardware.  I think it's best to list these speeds as
hashes/s throughput for the machine, while not using the hashing
scheme's own thread-level parallelism feature (provide the parallelism
externally, like userom.c in yescrypt does).  Other figures may also be
provided, such as on average and peak memory usage and memory bandwidth
usage.  Memory allocation overhead may or/and may not be included in
these benchmarks (ideally, both results would be obtained).  It is
realistic that some busy authentication servers would use native API
and skip this overhead.

For "KDF use", include speeds for both multi-threaded and
single-threaded uses, and do use the hashing scheme's own thread-level
parallelism feature for the multi-threaded benchmarks.  If the KDF lacks
this feature, it loses in this respect.  (We can't expect apps like
TrueCrypt to implement that.)  Some might have the feature in specs, but
not in code yet - if so, code would need to be written for this
benchmark.

> The simplest thing to report is how long a algorithm takes to run to hash
> for a given amount of memory, so I think we should report that.  However,
> it needs to be interpreted based on what the algorithm is doing.  Assuming
> the algorithm is linear in runtime for the range of memory in the category
> (for example, heavily external DRAM bound), then we can can convert runtime
> to now many MiB or GiB would be hashed in a 1 second runtime, by dividing
> the memory hashed by the runtime.  This let's us compare the memory*time
> cost for a 1 second runtime, and obviously higher is better.

We could, but I think it's fine to compare run times for e.g. 1 GiB.

> An important modification to the GiB/s hashed is the expected "average"
> memory usage for a 1 second run.

It doesn't necessarily have to be GiB/s, and "for a 1 second run".  It
can as well be "milliseconds to compute KDF with m_cost of 1 GiB" and
"average memory usage" during that computation (will be somewhere below
1 GiB, and will differ between schemes).

Oh, I see where the problem is: a hashing scheme could be faster than
another, but also have lower average memory usage, and then it'd be
unclear if it's better or worse in terms of time-normalized average
memory usage.  OK, yes, need something like what you propose (in
addition to the raw data).

> Finally, there's memory bandwidth, which should be in terms of MiB or GiB
> per second read/write to DRAM or cache.  Memory bandwidth is the primary
> runtime defense for a lot of the entries, so having high bandwidth is very
> important.  We can estimate memory bandwidth by the total memory hashed
> divided by runtime, times the number of memory accesses on average.  Cache
> adds a complication when estimating external DRAM bandwidth, but so far
> we've been able to guestimate which reads are most likely cached, and
> discount them for external DRAM bandwidth.  For example, for TwoCats, I
> estimate each DRAM location is written on average once, and read on average
> once, the same as Scrypt.
>
> Are these the right metrics?

Mostly, yes - with the correction above.

Oh, also let's use GB/s (powers of 10) for bandwidth figures, even when
we use KiB, MiB, and GiB for memory sizes.  This weird combination is
more standard for the industry.

Alexander