Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 17:42:24 -0700
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] PHS API copyright?

Google did not lose the lawsuit.  (I don’t know where the $1B amount comes from, either.)  It has been remanded for retrial of Google’s fair-use defense.  What Google lost was the judge’s earlier ruling that there was no infringement because there was no copyright.  The appeal resulted in there being copyright, and Google had already been found to have infringed it.  But it isn’t over until fair-use is resolved, assuming there is no settlement first.

With regard to whether the structure, sequence, and organization (SSO) of an API definition (e.g, header files, class declarations – excluding implementations) is copyrightable, the ruling makes for interesting reading about how such can have copyright and also what the four considerations are in having an infringement be fair use.  (Note that the issue is not about using an API but appropriating the definition of an API.)

See http://cafc.uscourts.gov/images/stories/opinions-orders/13-1021.Opinion.5-7-2014.1.PDF for an extensive account given in the ruling itself in the “Background” section.

-- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton@....org <mailto:dennis.hamilton@....org>     +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A