Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 06:16:48 -0700
From: Dean Pierce <pierce403@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Vertcoin moving to Lyra2

More details about the switch here :

https://vertcoin.org/pow-algorithm-upgrade-lyra2/

I actually started following the PHC to track the development of yescrypt.
I'm mostly interested in PHC competitors for use as Proof of Work
algorithms, especially for crypto currencies.  I had not really looked much
into Lyra2 before the Vertcoin announcement.

I think the main thing is coin developers wanting to move away from Scrypt,
since there are some very high end Scrypt ASICs on the market now.  Most
attempts at making a new ASIC resistant coin have been based on stacking a
bunch of SHA3 competitors in a row, which is just ridiculous.  There have
been some slightly better attempts, such as MemoryCoin, and PrimeCoin went
for about a year before someone managed to create a highly optimized GPU
miner.  YaCoin (scrypt with a higher N value) has actually done a good job,
but their poor marketing skills means they are still very much under
appreciated.

Look up "cpu coin" or "cpu mining" and you can see that despite the large
amount of interest in such a thing, the field is relatively
underdeveloped.  I think the reason Vertcoin is sticking with "GPU
Friendly" claims is mostly because anyone claiming to be CPU only
eventually falls to the GPU miners.

   - DEAN
On Aug 6, 2014 12:51 AM, "Krisztián Pintér" <pinterkr@...il.com> wrote:

> http://coinbrief.net/vertcoin-algorithm-change-lyra2/
>>

> this would be interesting, if they were providing any details on why they
> chose lyra2. but their blog lists only one feature, decoupled memory and
> computation cost. any insider info on the rationale?

Content of type "text/html" skipped