Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:11:31 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Re: A review per day - Yescript

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 04:05:32PM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
> - - For t == 0, most of hashing could be done serially, rather than in
> parallel, though the results need to be loaded in parallel for the
> final pass.
[...]
> The complaint I have about not forcing parallel computation is
> basically a banana attack.  If an attacker can instantly flush his
> memory to disk, and later instantly read it back, then he can do a
> TMTO, running threads in series rather than in parallel, because no
> data is exchanged between the threads.  They are all independent.  In
> the last pass, all memory has to be loaded so that the random read
> phase can complete in a reasonable time.  The problem with this attack
> is that the attacker needs the bandwidth from memory to disk to be as
> high as from the CPU to memory.  On my test machine, I'm able to get
> about 12GiB/s bandwidth from the CPU to memory.  In theory, my Sata
> interface is 6GiB/s.  I seriously doubt that having 2 Sata disks in my
> system would let me do 12GiB/s read/write to them.  However, if I were
> determined to make this TMTO attack, I might be able to do so with
> only a 2X increase in time*memory cost for high parallelism values,
> but I still would need to load it all in memory in the end.  That
> compares to Scrypt's *reduction* in time*memory cost by 4X, so it's
> hard to say this is a real concern.  It's more like me beating Solar
> Designer with a banana :-)

OK, re-read it.  Yes, it's a banana.

You can't force parallel computation onto any other algorithm as well.
Whatever can be computed in parallel can also be computed sequentially,
or with fewer parallel cores.

I think what you meant by that is forcing all the data to be kept in
memory at once, for efficient computation, by having even a sequential
implementation "unpredictably" access the different portions of data.
To achieve that, yet allow for parallel implementations, you'd need more
sync points, which I'd view as a drawback.

Yes, with yescrypt t=0 p>1 YESCRYPT_PARALLEL_SMIX, only 1/4 of its
computation is "forced parallel" in the above sense.  However, that
portion corresponds to 1/2 of the area-time cost of attacks, and to
mount your banana attack almost all of the data would need to be swapped
out and back in, which adds to the total area-time cost.

I think most attackers will find this specific attack infeasible even if
they did in fact have disks as fast as RAM.  It may be feasible when
used with different types or placement of RAM, though.  It doesn't
actually reduce the (theoretical) area-time cost even if successful, but
might help the "logistics" in custom hardware in practice.  ... But:

With such super fast disk-like memory, I'd rather apply it to swapping
in/out portions of each individual thread's memory during SMix1.  With
the sliding power-of-2 window, the out-of-window portions may be swapped
out (and then back in, at start of next power of 2).  Overall, this may
reduce SMix1's area-time cost by 1/3 (or total area-time cost for t=0 by
20%), if we only count RAM and not disks in the area cost and do not
count any swapping in/out overhead time cost.  However, this potential
attack is already factored into my area-time cost figures, and into the
choice of 4/3*N for the SMix* iteration count.  I simply do not assume
that out-of-window data remains part of the area.

So I have a better banana attack on yescrypt.  I think I had mentioned
this one before, when we were discussing pros and cons of sliding
power-of-2 vs. modulo division and others.

Alexander