Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:11:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - RIG

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 06:01:07PM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
> The XOR-ing over memory is an idea from Gambit that we talked about
> quite a bit.

I think this idea pre-dates Gambit, or do I miss something?  Here it is
in a comment by Anthony Ferrara (@ircmaxell) made 3 years ago:

https://www.drupal.org/node/1201444#comment-4675994

| This "issue" could be eliminated by simply writing to V_j in the
| second loop, for example:
|
| For i = 0 ... N - 1
|     j <-- Integerify(X) mod N
|     V_j <-- X xor V_j
|     X <-- H(V_j)
| B <-- X

At least I call it Anthony Ferrara's scrypt tradeoff defeater, and it
was in my code leading up to yescrypt probably before Gambit appeared.

BTW, the Gambit submission doesn't appear to credit any prior work that
it builds upon (it's not the first memory-hard function, not the first
to suggest use of a ROM array, and not the first to XOR things onto
memory), except for Keccak.  I wouldn't care much, but maybe you're
bashing RIG for the same kind of things too much... or would you do it
to Gambit too, when you reach it?

> Now that I've found that writing to a memory location
> just read from is quite fast compared to writing to a different
> location, I am a fan.

Yes, I like this too.  It works great for our typical defender, but what
would it mean for an attacker with custom memory chips?  That attacker
can implement the XOR near memory rather than near the hashing cores.

Luckily, this doesn't save them any bandwidth: they still need to pass
the data to XOR with to memory, and the data read back from memory
(before or after XOR, depending on algorithm) back to a hashing core.
...Unless a given password hashing scheme only XORs things onto memory,
without using that memory's contents in any other way at the same time.
yescrypt is fine in this respect (it also uses the data), but some other
PHC candidates might not be - we could want to check them for this risk.

Then, what if the attacker implements more or all of the hashing logic,
not just the XOR, near memory?  The concept of memory bandwidth stops to
make full sense, so we can't reasonably say that such attacker would
e.g. halve their required memory bandwidth, but perhaps there are still
some savings due to use of possible custom memory cells that support a
write-XOR-read operation?  I guess such savings might exceed the speedup
we're seeing, relative to unrelated read/write locations, on our target
CPU+RAM systems.  Hopefully, this risk is rather theoretical, and
clearly its worst case impact is limited to 2x (or actually less, if we
consider it relative to defender's speedup).

Alexander