Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:55:37 +0200
From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] An additional PHS API to include a string?

Bill Cox (at Sunday, August 31, 2014, 1:31:22 PM):

> The Microsoft presentation made a good point that stuck with me: users
> hate dealing with all these different parameters like m_cost and
> t_cost, and they'll just stick with password and salt if we can't
> simplify storing hashes in a database.

converting the result hash, and optionally any parametrization, to a
string is perpendicular to password hashing. it can be added later, it
is straightforward, it is independent of the actual algorithm, and it
can be supplied as a helper function to the core hash function. my
conclusion is: we should not discuss it, it is a waste of time.

side note: does anyone know why bcrypt packs only 23 bytes of the 24
byte hash into the string representation?