Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:58:15 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - PufferFish

On 08/31/2014 12:05 AM, Bill Cox wrote:
> These reviews are exhausting, but fun!  I'll find more time
> tomorrow, but my initial thoughts for PufferFish:
>
> Nice, simple, clean, honest wana-be future of bcrypt.
>
> I'll probably find some crud in his code tomorrow, but I expect to
> still be a PufferFish fan at the end of it.  Maybe I'll help him
> find a bug or two... unlike what happens when I read Solar
> Designer's code :-)
>
> Bill

I read through the code.  I did not properly analyze it for security
vs the original bcrypt.  I just read the code.  Others more familiar
with bcrypt will have to do a proper cryptanalysis.

In short, PufferFish is very similar to bcrypt, except that the 4
S-boxes can be bigger, controlled by m_cost, and the iteration count
is controlled by t_cost.  It uses 64-bit arithmetic, and just in case
it's this modified version of BlowFish is not very secure, it hashes
the inputs first with SHA512-HMAC.  The author got the details of the
password and salt hashing right, working around the input collisions
of HMAC.  Very nice!

It also generates the output derived key with another round of SHA512,
which gives me a bit more piece of mind.  I did not fully verify that
no significant entropy is lost in the main algorithm, but it looks
that way to me.

I also did not benchmark it vs bcrypt, but it does look like it has 4
parallel small data reads from the S-boxes, just like bcrypt, except
that it does so 64-bits at a time rather than 32.  Like bcrypt, it
probably needs no SIMD version.

Overall, for an algorithm that simply wants to extend the life of
bcrypt by using more than 4KiB of L1 cache and using 64-bit data
types, PufferFish looks great.  It's nice to have an easy review for
Labor Day :-)

I still found some things to nit-pick about, though nothing significant:

- - line 216, if the "settings" string is NULL, it looks like it will
crash.  Add a check?
- - The code has tabs followed by spaces, and indentation is off in my
editor
- - In the reference code, pufferfish.c line 155 has a comment says 256
bits, but I think it should say 512

Overall, this is very clean and easy to read code, even in the
optimized version.  This project sticks to the spirit of bcrypt, and
does not add significant complexity.  It also has a nice string
conversion interface for it's parameters which looked well done to me.

PufferFish appears to be a worthy replacement for bcrypt, IMO.

That said, PufferFish is *not* a worthy replacement for Script.  Like
several entries, it has no mechanism for reducing external DRAM
latency penalties, and with small 64-bit unpredictable reads, it will
run to slow for 1GiB hashing.  Like bcrypt, it has no cache timing
resistance of any kind.

PufferFish seems to be just what the author wanted it to be - a simple
update to bcrypt.  For that goal, PufferFish seems to be a job well
done.  If we want a low-complexity bcrypt replacement, this is
probably it.  Again, it does not meet my criteria for "overall" winner
since it does not replace Scrypt.

Bill