Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 02:21:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Steve Thomas <steve@...tu.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Makwa is broken given p and q

> On September 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Steve Thomas <steve@...tu.com> wrote:
> > Given p and q you can do:
> > e = 2 ** cost
> > e' = 2 ** cost (mod (p-1)*(q-1))
> > x ** e = x ** e' (mod p*q)
>
> This is described (in the CRT formulation) in the Makwa paper.

So it was known that you can modulus the exponent and have it run in constant
time, in comparison to the cost factor.

> > You could pick the cost to be 2 ** 128. Without p and q you can't test a
> > password.
> > powConst = powm(2, pow(2, 128), (p-1)*(q-1))
> > hash = powm(password, powConst, p*q)
> > but you could just do HMAC(password, secretKey)
> >
> > Sorry but even if you came up with the perfect server-specific shortcut,
> > HMAC or
> > encryption with a secret key is better.
> >
> > If you don't know the secret, it takes 3x longer.
> > vs
> > If you don't know the secret, you can't do anything.
>
> Huh? I don't think that anyone is proposing using Makwa with cost 2^128.

I was picking an absurd number to prove a point that apparently was known. I
guess the escrow should have tipped me off that we don't see eye to eye on what
we think is secure.

I stand corrected, not broken, but my opinion is this is bad.