Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:22:05 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: A review per day - AntCrypt

Last one!

Antcrypt, because it comes first alphabetically, was ripped pretty
hard as soon as the algorithms were published.  There were a lot of
issues pointed out.  I will only point out a couple.  However, the
main idea is cool.  Basically, instead of just hashing pseudo-random
memory locations, they use pseudo-randomly picked hashing functions in
each iteration of the inner loop.

I read through the functions used, and was shocked to see it uses sin
and cos as hashing functions.  I have trouble forgiving this
particular mistake.  Also, it's runtime is O(m_cost^2).  This is
because memory is hashed m_cost/16 times for each increment of t_cost.
 This makes the algorithm unusable at large memory sizes.  Here's some
benchmarks.

4MiB benchmark:

PHC> time ./phs-antcrypt 0 14
allocating 4194305 bytes

fb e9 95 82 22 9d 32 03
10 31 5c e5 bf 84 15 b8
6f 98 e6 3e 61 5c 62 fb
97 91 36 95 14 f8 9b ff      32 (octets)

real	0m0.653s
user	0m0.652s
sys	0m0.000s

128MiB benchmar:

PHC> time ./phs-antcrypt 0 19
allocating 134217729 bytes

04 c7 f8 59 62 15 1a ec
2f 42 07 4f c3 80 e8 c2
58 23 7e ce e4 e3 96 bc
a1 eb 6c 22 d7 dc e1 3c      32 (octets)

real	0m21.026s
user	0m21.020s
sys	0m0.012s

Note the rapid runtime increase.  I was not patient enough to do the
1GiB run.

The paper is correct that having a high number of functions which can
be selected in the inner loop will slow down GPUs, due to their SIMD
architecture.  With thousands of functions, this might be pretty
strong GPU defense.  I think this is an excellent core idea.

However, I could go on ripping the code for a while.  I figure
AntCrypt has been picked on enough.  If people really want me to bury
this implementation in criticism, I will, but is there a point?  IMO,
the bottom line is that the PHC does not need this code.  However,
maybe the PHC needs the core idea.

Combining AntCrypt GPU defense with bcrypt or Yescrpt GPU defense
could create the most GPU unfriendly algorithm ever.  However,
combining these two techniques should be left to guys who understand
CPUs at a very low level, and are comfortable optimizing time*memory
defense, as well as bandwidth hardening and preferably compute-time
hardening.  I would prefer to see Samuel Neves or Alexander give it a
go if they had time.  I might be interested if the these guys were not
available, but the results would not be as good.  At least I would not
put sin and cos in there :-)  I think that each hashing function could
be a somewhat random sequence of ARX permutations rather than the
one-operation primitives in the AntCrypt code.  That would make it
easy to have very many different functions that also could run really
well on modern CPU SIMD units, with excellent memory bandwidth.

In summary, if possible, I would prefer to salvage the idea, but
someone else should implement the code.  If the idea can be salvaged
by accepting AntCrypt into the next round for that purpose, then I'd
say AntCrypt is worth moving forward.  If it has to be based on this
code, I would pass on AntCrypt.  Can the core hashing idea be saved
despite it's weak wrapper?

Bill