lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite for Android: free password hash cracker in your pocket
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:05:24 -0400
From: Justin Cappos <jcappos@....edu>
To: discussions <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] PolyPassHash is broken

I agree with your point, if _admins_ choose very weak passwords (<32 bits
of entropy).  However, if admins are choosing passwords with very low
entropy, then brute force over the network is also a big risk though.

Will any hashing scheme protect an admin account that chooses 'password' or
'abc123' as their password?  (At least PPH protects thresholdless accounts
even with these horrid passwords.)

Making admins choose passwords that aren't completely broken seems to be a
viable task.  Many organization already try to require this for all users
by requiring some numbers / letters / min length, etc.

As always, the feedback / discussion is appreciated...
Justin


On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...hershed.org>
wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
> On 09/14/2014 03:45 PM, Justin Cappos wrote:
> > We have some discussion about the points list in our paper
> > (Sections 5.2.3 and 6 for example). However, I'll be more explicit
> > and direct here.
> >
> > Method 1
> >> * get partial hash from DB * find partial hash collision *
> >> crash/restart server * login
> >>
> >
> > Sure you can do this.  Once a threshold is reached, the attack will
> > be detected because the full password hashes will not match.  That
> > is, unless the attacker is fortunate enough so that the partial
> > hash collision is the actual full hash / password.
>
> I have to agree with Steve that the Partial Validation feature needs
> work.  I was convinced the scheme proposed in the paper was secure
> until I read that section, which puts security in doubt.
>
> Revealing even two bytes of the password hash is dangerous.  For
> example, if there are 4 administrators, and two of them have passwords
> with only 32 bits of entropy, meaning that they exist in my 4-billion
> entry dictionary, and if only 2 shares are needed, then without the
> Partial Verification feature, I still have to try up to 2^64 guesses
> to find the master key, once I've chosen the right two admin accounts.
> However, with 16 bits of the hash from two password hashes, in 4*2^32
> hashes I can easily build dictionaries for all of them containing only
> matching hashes, which would be about 2^16 each.  I then only need to
> try 2^32 combinations for each of the 4 possible pairs to find the
> key.  Essentially, what this does is make it just about as easy to
> attack the database as if PolyPassHash were not in use.
>
> In general, I think most admins always want to be able to log in.
> This is a significant problem for wide-spread adoption of
> PolyPassHash, without the Partial Verification feature.  However, this
> seems to need work.
>
> Bill
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1
>
> iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJUFgRuAAoJEAcQZQdOpZUZUNQP/3BwhmbICmXv3Fp+ylnBp0zP
> zlHKBPiYK65he9anRRI9grMg12euAQX0iwXT2UMaDwct9q7MGuZFfd08b5zb+m6m
> wDWY8btsyJ8ZNG0t0KIv7YEsDQnPxfGTXccNUaS3JxPUth3s/zvcvYl+XLpS0xli
> kbg1mLLQTXeQu8cDLFbJPBcYibWhGmQc34aLFCRoaTLEGYh1is1B9bhuBJgjCmwa
> zR4iIdUj7HsZxW++TJ+ot3WBn6ZrMRXLY3w/0HLpOfWE0aHNVQQW84r9w4cgo3i/
> H77J+baVRiLBG1X6PXWnacnXliv5cmvGA1epP/BPFl2QKnmhsp/LVvYX06tjlA2A
> UCJ2iS1eH9GNCZezExJeEOeD6q9zbsenFFDXoGTDaQWr9syf+xTWStGxUWv1o8Xx
> wLukKxYlb6MB8H4ZgpUvDGdyxPIZUjmbeNvEyXXDSCUezEOxvITa0so+7P9nbRI7
> gc172oNc1YinMqwyFCWanAQf/dhr1bnGw3jS3c4HTAYzi+tTV5IflBSwOmKCa/hT
> JSBHwi/e0qHI6QWiUU9P2MnrCvKsnp1mlnO4dgPJMrWVWADDWNFxSOSXaiUsmheV
> y17wzBjdV/lJTPbm2DzvS6R+BaQjAskoGVdakasnturFGKKuUT0NrmOMFmkIfslZ
> T3TcmYIMs1QwI9SXZFi3
> =kk0q
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Powered by blists - more mailing lists